Industrial Chic
By TwelveCrows on
2010 Volvo C30 T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)
I am a big fan of the Ford C1 platform. Prior to my C30, I owned an 04 Mazda 3s; I loved it. But as much as I did, it pales in comparison to the C30. It is more comfortable and more solid with a more powerful and responsive engine. Other than the wind noise coming from the side mirrors, the cockpit is quiet-isolating the road noise and allowing the driver to hear that throaty growl when the foot presses to the floor. The automatic transmission is smooth- though I've only used the manual shift feature once. The only problem here is that 227 hp driving front wheels can sometimes make the tires slip- with heavy acceleration like pulling out into traffic. The GTI doesn't have this issue.
Favorite Features
The engine is exceptional, as is the balance between the ride and the handling. The R-design is sportier, but I found the ride on the 18' wheels too choppy. I love the simple, industrial design: uncluttered and clean. I think it's called lagam in Swedish: Everything you need and nothing you don't.
Suggested Improvements
Move the power to the back wheels or mount stickier tires to the front. The slippage I mentioned above can be a bit disconcerting.