Over 200k Miles and Still Going Strong
By Julie on
1995 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan
I just graduated college and started a new job and now I want nothing more than to buy a new car. But I can't justify it because my '95 Volvo 940 just won't die! My parents bought it with 130k mi and I learned to drive on it about 6yrs ago. It's a bit sluggish so I'd recommend the turbo. The only major repairs we've done are a new alternator about 2 yrs ago, new gas pump about 5 yrs ago, and some belts and sensors last year. As long as you do your part to maintain them, they'll keep running for a loooong time. Great car for a teen since they're very safe and they couldn't get a speeding ticket if they tried. Also a great deal for the price.
Favorite Features
Safety. I was rear ended by someone going about 40mph. Her minivan was totaled. You couldn't tell that I had been in an accident. The turning radius is unbelievable. Very roomy interior, without feeling like you're driving an old Buick. Very reliable with proper maintenance. High quality vehicle.
Suggested Improvements
Rear wheel drive makes it awful to drive in WI winters. My next Volvo will be AWD. Parts can be hard to come by and rather expensive. No get- up-and-go. Even when I floor it, I get smoked by every other car on the road. This is easily fixed with an upgrade to turbo.