Used 1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 940 model:

Absolutely FANTASTIC
By Tom

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Bought 2010, 157K miles, cost $2800, ONE owner car complete w/ orig manuals, service records up to 145K. What a beautiful car to drive. Bought 2007 Nissan Sentra new and is pure plastic. Literally cannot compare with Volvo as the Vovlo is a REAL car, quality built, drives like a dream and I know I am safe inside. I hope I never have to buy another car. This car was made with pride or workmanship, pride of design team, pride of manufacturer. This is the type of car China will never make... nor any other country ever again. I am so proud and pleased to have found this car.

Favorite Features

Driving Comfort, good visibility all around, great cargo area, lots of safety lights

Suggested Improvements

COFFEE cup or drink holders! Radio mediocre quality will change. AC regular. MAKE it again Volvo.

Love this car
By malka

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I've never owned a volvo before, always toyotas, but now that i have one, never going back. first of all, driver comfort. i can't wait to get out of my corolla, but the volvo 940 is extremely comfortable. Turning radius is amazing for a large car and i like the way the volvo is slower...makes me a more patient driver believe it or not. Fuel economy is a bummer, and i wish they made these cars in diesel. but i only drive occasionally and when i drive, i always take the volvo.

Favorite Features

turning radius. seat comfort.

Great design, great execution
By Helen

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Excellent: reliability, serviceability, visibility, 5-seat comfort (incl the best headrests), trunk space (esp with flat-folded seats), steering, handling (I upgraded to IPD sway bars, poly bushings, chassis braces, Bilstein shocks, 16" wheels), 51/49 f/r distribution and light weight makes the car very predictable. Mileage is fine if you accelerate softly and keep speeds below 65. 4 spd trans isn't efficient above 70, but the car is fine well above that. Controls are intuitive. Sunroof is huge. Paint is robust. Towing is strong. The car's design and capabilities have not been improved on... it's unique and excellent even 15 years and 180,000 miles on the road.

Favorite Features

Balanced handling, excellent steering, great cornering, gas pedal modulation is precise, excellent rear seat design, usable trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

European headlights, IPD sway bars, Cherry Turbo upper/lower chassis braces, Bilstein HD shocks, 16 wheels, HK TrafficPro GPS Navigation head unit, 400W 5 channel amp, Motorola BT phone kit, 12" sealed subwoofer installed in under-trunk storage space.

Volvo for life
By Zadar the Cow

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

This is the car you can buy and hopefully, with proper maintenance, never have to buy another car. They don't rust, are fairly simple to work on, and parts are getting cheaper and cheaper. The cloth seats last much longer than leather and you can learn how to change every light bulb on the car in under 10 minutes.

Favorite Features

The ability of the car to easily go 300,000 plus miles (with proper care!)

Suggested Improvements

I wish Volvo would make this car again.

Saved my friend in an accident
By Scott

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I wrote back in March of 2005 that I hoped to keep my "new" 1994 940 wagon until it had at least 300k miles. Unfortunately, that was not to be. A couple of weeks ago, a giant Chevy Suburban SUV plowed into the right front passenger door of my 940. My friend who was driving my 940 simply opened the driver's door and walked away, with his only injuries being some cuts and bruises on his face caused by the airbag. In fact, despite the sheet metal being pushed in about two feet at the point of impact, all of the doors except for the one that was hit stayed closed and could be operated normally. The windshield wipers didn't even stop working! I quickly replaced it with another 1994 940 wagon.

Favorite Features

Safety, safety, safety. The 1994 940 doesn't even have all of Volvo's latest safety features like side airbags, yet I think that even a right-front passenger would have survived this accident, although possibly with some leg injuries.

Suggested Improvements

Kind of pointless suggesting improvements to a car that's been out of production for over ten years, isn't it?