1994 Volvo 940 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 940 model:
Greatest Volvo ever
By Scott on 03/14/05 22:48 PM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

The 940 distills all of Volvo's 20+ years of experience building midsize four-cylinder cars (staring with the 140) into a handsome, reliable, modern package. When I bought mine recently with 195k miles on it, I spent about $2500 to bring everything up to my exacting mechanical standards. It was worth it, because I expect to get it over 300,000 miles. I'm even thinking of trading my 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon on a 1993 940 sedan, I like the 940 so much better.

Well Equipped...and more.
By surfripper on 03/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Just picked up this ride and must say it drives and rides better than my 2001 Benz...and one heck of a lot cheaper to drive. I highly recommend this vehicle, but caution that if you're considering one, make sure it has all the trim pieces if that's important to you. I just spend $125 on two pieces of front window molding. Bottom line, parts aren't cheap, but hopefully the reliability will make up for it.

Tried and True
By greglsbuggy on 09/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

We bought the car used with 117K on it in May of 2001 shortly after our daughter was born. We've got 207K on her now and she's still going strong. Got her back from the shop today, routine PM, belts, front oil seals, timing etc. Our mechanic thinks she's good for another 100K or more. Very reliable and comfortable, plenty of power, averages 24-26 MPG consistantly, oil consumption is modest at about a quart every 2K to 2.5K or so. The car has been a real value and gives a good miles per dollar ratio. We couldn't be happier.

goes forever
By barn@jps.net on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Bought it new and maintain it according to the recommended service. It has been a great car for two kids and two to three dogs. The reliability has been excellent, though services can be expensive. Easy to do simple repairs yourselve. Relatively fun to drive with adequate acceleration, especially after the turbo kicks in. Great loading up stuff at the hardware store and vacations.

disappointed
By big blue brick on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I love to drive this car, and I understand that parts/repairs on a luxury european can be big bucks, but I am tremendously disappointed in the reliability of this vehicle. I had hoped that it would live up to the reputation of running forever - but then, so would a chevy vega if one were constantly replacing it's parts. I have been stranded due to cooling system problems twice in one year, blown head gasket, rack and pinion replace, tranny cooler replaced, every head and taillight has fallen off at least once...I think the swedes that put this one together were dipping into the aqavit.

Boxy But Good!
By Petey on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

This is my third Volvo. Great comfort for tall passengers. Seats are very supportive, visibility is excellent. Performance is not bad if expectations are realistic. Lots of room. 187,000 and burning no oil. Used parts and expert technicians are abundant.

Boxy But Good!
By petey on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Vulnerable Volvo
By Hatchback Harry on 12/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

This car is just great. It made just over 390.000 km's. On holydays I drove to Bulgaria, Norway, Sweden, Finland, France, Spain, Belgium, Corsica, Denmark and Germany without troubles. Quite expensive to maintain however. Very reliable, stirdy, car. I must advise to everybody to buy it. Far, far better than all those poorly, flimsyly build US-cars. It doesn't match however, the looks of a Renault or a Peugeot.

Reliable
By opus11 on 08/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

It is a reliable and comfortable car. The only thing I would complain is not having enough horse power.

Still Going strong
By proud Volvo owner on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 940 Wagon 4dr Wagon

My 940 standard wagon has 178,000 mile on it now and it runs better than when I first drove it home. This has been my third Volvo (240,740 Turbo) with a 5 year period in between. I don't know why I every switched. I will never buy another vehicle. My luck ahs been to good.