1996 Volvo 850 2.4L 5-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - A Lemon

1996 Volvo 850 - Consumer Review

GLT Sedan (2.4L 5-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

A Lemon
By Pinny on

1996 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

The 850 GLT is a money pit. When it works the car is fast and stable. It handles great and looks sleek, but I have had to sink 2500 dollars into the car just to keep it on the road. Each time I do it is reliable for about 3 weeks before something else happens. So far, I have had trouble with the fuel evap, both strut mounts (the 96s are famous for this), brushings, brakes, radiator, thermostat, entire front axle and tires. Broken but not repaired are the odo, antenna motor, failing dash lights. The leather seats all cracked. Aside from safety, there is no reason to get such a money pit.

Favorite Features

Styling, strong engine.

Suggested Improvements

Volvo needs to figure out how to make suspension systems that don't break.
By loveswedcars25
on 04/22/12 15:17 PM (PDT)

You really did get a lemon. haha. I've had mine for a year straight without a major problem, only problem being a fuel filter but that isnt Volvo's fault. Right now, I'm having to drive a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab because my car does not have insurance and I'm not going to risk being in a wreck and not being able to pay for the car to be fixed.

By luilun3
on 06/11/11 17:00 PM (PDT)

You must have bought one that was totaled your the only person whinning on the car