Used 1996 Volvo 850 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

a truly great car and hard worker
By krizy1

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

i bought my volvo from a friend of mine.. he had neglected to car somewhat,so i had to do a few maintenance things. this car is easy to work on,parts for the most part are inexpensive. although there are a few things i wouldn't fix myself. over cheap to up keep.. fun as hell to drive.,flip it into sport mode and away you..,it's fast,.,responsive,over engineered.the only complaint would be gas mileage in the city.,but still not awful.. just could be better.. i love my volvo.

transmission mode switch.. and design on car.. it makes sense and most everything is easy to get to

better gas mileage..

By Thank you Volvo

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

Thank you for being the only forced induction that uses reg-87 gas and i still cannot believe it. The car runs and drives great, V-8 power and 4-cyl. gas sipping i cannot lose and do not forget the great volvo safety just incase things get out of hand. buy one now and thank me later

turbo, turbo, turbo. with style and class

heater core which is easy to replace so do not take it to the dealer because believe me they can make a grown man cry.

DER PANZER WAGEN
By Grimshaw

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

With this economy I went from a 05 Jag XJ8L (repoed) to a bicycle to this car. I bought this car 3 months ago. I gotta say, I don't miss the jag that much! This tank could use some more power and my friend says it drives like a golf cart but I dig it. Ran into the heaviest rain I've ever seen in Jacksonville and handled like a dream. Made a couple of 7 hour trips to Charleston from Florida and it was great. City driving is good too, although it is really loud. The odometer is broken ($300 to fix)but the dealership can still get the mileage from the computer. All and all I'm really pleased with this ride and I'm going to be driving it for a long time or at least till the economy comes back!

Only having to get an oil change every 5k miles or 12 months.

It would be nice to have more speed.

A European Buick!
By djfkeefe

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

Major advantage: comfort, most comfortable car I've ever owned. Gasoline mileage respectable - 25 mpg. Major drawback: maintenance costs - cost $4800 in the 4 yrs I owned it, and was facing as much for this year. Started to use oil, 1 qt per 3M miles. Wind-dam too low, knocked it off several times on low concrete barriers (difficult repair). Nonsensible design: headlight wipers, but no rear window wiper? Why?

Solidity

Wind dam: too low; other cars don't seem to have its problem. Wipers on headlights? C'mon. Need wipers on rear window.

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By cking3177

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

When I purchased the Volvo in 1996, I had no idea that I'd still be driving it and loving it 12 years later. It is still very quiet and comfortable. I've never had any out-of-the ordinary repair issues. This is a great car!

Roomy inside, like a larger luxury vehicle.

I've never quite adjusted to the view on the passenger's side in the front...as with parking, etc. Maybe it's just me.