Used 1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

A Classic Volvo
By Alex

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon GLT 4dr Wagon

We bought the car after our second child was born in 1994. Only problems have been the air conditioning, as well as some more minor engine parts. Everything else is great, very safe and solid!

So much room! Everything is holding up pretty well, compared to our neighbors who have the same, which is not as great condition.

Better fuel economy, but no major complaints. Odometer broke at 144,000 miles.

Great Car for College Students
By Kate

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon GLT 4dr Wagon

I bought my car with 105,000 miles on it as the fourth owner. I had it for a year. It was awesome as a college student to be able to haul around my friends and my stuff. However, previous owners had not cared for the car properly and I ended up with a blown piston ring after a year of ownership. That pretty much totaled the car ($3k of repairs for a $3k car) unfortunately. However, I bought a used 2002 XC70 because I loved my 850 so much. It was taken on several car trips (camping, skiing and paintball) and performed well in all areas. I wish I could have bought another. Be aware when buying used- if the person before you hasn't done the maintenance, the car will fail.

Sunroof, 3rd seat, individual reading lights over the rear seats (perfect for friends to read or do homework on long car trips), window controls in middle console, dual climate control.

Cupholders! This is the primary complaint from 850 owners- there is only one cupholder that is actually useful and they are placed in such a way as to seriously cause harm to the electronic window controls.

A wonderful car
By nelhig

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I'm very attached to my 850 Volvo wagon. I've had it almost 13 yrs. and it's been the most maintenance free vehicle I've ever owned. The engine is a gem. The interior trim falls apart over years, especially the outside trim. I stopped replacing it. Also, the hatch door trim inside has fallen apart and now rattles. The leather seats have torn, but that's because it lives outside. Sometimes I miss AWD and feel like my Volvo is a tank when it starts to slide, but because it is a tank I feel safe. It's been a reliable car as a single mom of two children. The only major complaint I have now is the driver seat has become very uncomfortable and my back hurts after just short drives.

Sturdy/safe car, amethyst color, supreme engine overall, tight handling, beautiful, sleek looking car, reliable, country mechanics can still work on it, don't need the dealer most times.

The exterior trim, rear hatch interior trim, driver seat discomfort, better CD player, cup holders broke so long ago I forgot I had them, rear windows only roll down halfway as safety precaution (a bit much).

Wish I could keep her till she dies
By Vince

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Wow! I've owned that car for over a month, and besides an oxygen sensor and a tune-up, she hasn't cost me a penny. Well, since she's 12 years old, normal wear and tear is visible - those leather seats seem to tear apart in all 10+ years old 850s. And the tailgate struts have to be replaced, but that's stuff that even a tool-challenged person like me can handle. They have made a car whose mechanical components are built to withstand the passage of time! Excellent buy for whoever needs a reliable used car, for below $4000.

Independent temperature controls (driver/passenger), and the electric moonroof!

Odometer seems to stop working after about 10 years on almost every Volvo 850!

Nice Used Car
By Tedbo

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Nice dependable car which had some miles on her when purchased. Depending on how well the car is maintained you may have to invest in some costly maintenance. Be sure that you check the shocks/struts, last timing belt change, horn (ours became stuck just as we were picking our daughter up from middle school, she was quite embarassed) and the door hinges. A test drive on a hot day is recommended so that you can put the air-conditioning system through its paces. History of problems. Car is solid, however be prepared for plenty of rattles from the rear compartment/hatch. There are kits available which can help reduce the noise levels. Would still recommend and would buy another.

Comfortable to drive. Easy to change the oil.

The horn contacts; you would think that a company which designs a car that is supposedly one the safest vehicles on the road wouldn't skimp on the horn. Hard to believe that it isn't a recall issue. (Dealer wants 500 bucks to fix it.)