Used 1995 Volvo 850 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Love my 850
By Jim

1995 Volvo 850 4dr Wagon

Bought used with 20K miles from a dealer in 96. It was a Hertz rental for a year before I bought it. Best deal ever. It has never had a major problem after 140K miles. Wear yes, but my partner is obsessive about maintenance and care. But we have to sell. Got another fab deal on a year old 2007 S80. I'm having difficulty selling because of the memories and worry free experience. Maybe I'll keep it, just because I love Volvos. I hope Ford didn't screw up the quality too much since I bought this one.

Favorite Features

Handling, comfort A+. Reliability A+ And surprisingly not that expensive to maintain. But I have a great mechanic and will take my cars to no one else.

Suggested Improvements

Tailgate mechanicals is a forever problem for all 850 wagons. Fabric doesn't last long enough, exterior trim needed replacement. Everyone needs new clothes and Volvos need them too after 12 years.

A wonderful car
By nelhig

1995 Volvo 850 4dr Wagon

I'm very attached to my 850 Volvo wagon. I've had it almost 13 yrs. and it's been the most maintenance free vehicle I've ever owned. The engine is a gem. The interior trim falls apart over years, especially the outside trim. I stopped replacing it. Also, the hatch door trim inside has fallen apart and now rattles. The leather seats have torn, but that's because it lives outside. Sometimes I miss AWD and feel like my Volvo is a tank when it starts to slide, but because it is a tank I feel safe. It's been a reliable car as a single mom of two children. The only major complaint I have now is the driver seat has become very uncomfortable and my back hurts after just short drives.

Favorite Features

Sturdy/safe car, amethyst color, supreme engine overall, tight handling, beautiful, sleek looking car, reliable, country mechanics can still work on it, don't need the dealer most times.

Suggested Improvements

The exterior trim, rear hatch interior trim, driver seat discomfort, better CD player, cup holders broke so long ago I forgot I had them, rear windows only roll down halfway as safety precaution (a bit much).

Nice Used Car
By Tedbo

1995 Volvo 850 4dr Wagon

Nice dependable car which had some miles on her when purchased. Depending on how well the car is maintained you may have to invest in some costly maintenance. Be sure that you check the shocks/struts, last timing belt change, horn (ours became stuck just as we were picking our daughter up from middle school, she was quite embarassed) and the door hinges. A test drive on a hot day is recommended so that you can put the air-conditioning system through its paces. History of problems. Car is solid, however be prepared for plenty of rattles from the rear compartment/hatch. There are kits available which can help reduce the noise levels. Would still recommend and would buy another.

Favorite Features

Comfortable to drive. Easy to change the oil.

Suggested Improvements

The horn contacts; you would think that a company which designs a car that is supposedly one the safest vehicles on the road wouldn't skimp on the horn. Hard to believe that it isn't a recall issue. (Dealer wants 500 bucks to fix it.)