1994 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
Comfortable Ride Finally Found
By Don Valencic on 09/23/07 21:45 PM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

After searching for a quality second car for doctor's appointments and the occasional trip to the mall, I finally found it in my 1994 Volvo GLT. I test drove and passed on every maker's so called premium/luxury model. I test drove this car because of its excellent outward appearance. I was surprised to find it quiet, rattle free, smooth on acceleration with terrific handling. Seating was what mattered most due to my disabilities. The 8 way w/memory, thickly padded but supportive power seat let me find the best position easily and keep it. I have never been more pleased in more than 42 years of driving. I wonder if the new Volvos are as well designed and made as this one.

Depends on your climate
By Jason on 09/01/05 00:41 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

Bought with 78K miles in 2001. Amazingly harsh and brittle ride, lack of power at low speeds, tendency to wander at high speeds, narrow tires not very confidence-inspiring. Significant body roll, squeaky but effective brakes. Had a $500 problem with it once every year. Broken down only once, when the battery decided it had had enough and wanted to explode but didn't. AC evaporator tends to fail and costs a grand to fix. This car lets in an amazing about of heat in the summer, and I live in the northeast. This car is relatively cheap to buy now, but I would only recommend it to residents of Canada who don't like driving fast and have autobahn-quality roads where they live.

Great car
By seashell on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I bought the car because of the safety features. Luckily they've never been tested. The drivers seat is the most comfortable seat as was my 240. It gets decent mileage 22 to 25 (includes some highway driving). I don't like the price of the 30K service work but it's never let me down. The finish has held up great with waxing twice a year. The antenna has gotten bent in car washes and had to be replaced. I wish the new ones had as much room. I do ocassionally have to tighten the nut on the windshield washer arm. Overall it has been good to me.

Great Car
By regnellie on 08/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car new in 94 and have loved it! Car just totaled in an accident and of course everyone in the car walked away without a scratch! We will purchase another Volvo to replace this one, a used one this time. They are such great cars we have no second thoughts about purchasing a used Volvo, our first used car. Had around 108K miles and we had not had any major repairs done to the car. The yearly service was pricey, which is my only complaint with Volvos. However, they are such reliable cars that it seems like a small matter overall. This was our second Volvo and we will probably always own as least one! Tons of trunk space.

Volvo 850 1994
By doctorbiz on 03/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

Reliable good-looking auto with comfortable seating. Useful trunk rear- seat split for additional cargo.

Great Car All Around!
By farfaraway on 11/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I bought this car just under a year ago and have no major problems. I have done some minor modifications to the engine and now get about 26 mpg in the city and about 36 on the freeway. There are some quarks with the car that you just have to get used to but overall it is fun and fast to drive especially with the sport option selected.

850 Volvo
By 94850 on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

Bought car in 1995 w/26000 mi. on it then. Have had no major problems other than some sort of relay shutting the car down. Fit & finish is good. Vehicle shows no signs of loosening up. No squeaks/rattles. Fun car to drive.

Minor design problems only
By Mimi'sMom on 08/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 850 new in 1994. I have not had any of the problems described by others. I have not had to replace anything. The biggest problem for me is the very real blindspot but once you know it's there you HAVE to turn your head. Next, I would have to say that the wind noise with the moon roof is disappointing. In the winter when you open the door if there is snow on the roof, it ends up in the car. Finally, I purchased the $100.00 cup holders, they were VERY cheap plastic and still don't hold most cups.

Cheap materials - my last Volvo
By vivolvo on 05/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

Mirror controls on the center console show poor placement My wife puts her purse on the console, which activates the mirrors Like dual heat controls. Enjoy safety features such as anti- collision light. Fog lights are for asthetics only - don't improve driving vision at all. Gear box problems on three occassions; window wind deflectors fell off after two years, along with body side moldings. Cheap plastic hood latch broke within a year. Wide door post has significant blind spot when looking over your shoulder. Power seat broke at 5-yr mark, required new cable. I'll never buy another Volvo.

No free lunches
By atanner on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with just 55k miles, but it still needed a lot of work: 2 CV boots, a radiator, a cam position sensor, etc. To replace turn signal indicator light would cost $85 because it is hard to get into the dash.