Used 2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Piece of CRAP car
By lesbeck

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I would not recommend this car to anyone who is not a millionaire with money to burn and likes to have their car in the shop at least once a month. We bought this car brand new, zero miles on it and had to bring it into the shop within the first month. It was all downhill from there. Every mechanical piece on the car was replaced under warranty (which we extended to five years immediately) except for the motor, which I am sure would run forever while all the other peices of the car fall off all over the road. Sadly, I had to buy a back-up car so I had something reliable to go to work in and had to carry a battery for the key in my purse, because you never knew when the car would not unlock.

I LIKED that the leather seats were so comfortable that on long trips, I felt better getting out of the car than when I got in it at the start of the trip. I LOVED the deep blue color. I liked the body style of this model. I liked that when I pressed on the gas, that it would turn heads

Lower the price. A crappy car that needs so much money in maintenance and repair should not be priced so high. How about fixing the transmission so it actually WORKS with the V8 that is in it.

Good Value
By PGal

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Solid, well made German SUV with good handling for the most part. V8 gas mileage is a blended 15. Always has been hesitant off the line, but plenty of power once you are moving, great feel for a driver. Comfortable, well designed. Like the look, like the drive. Interior leather, wood appointments nice, luxury feel. For the money, this is a good luxury SUV, same new platform as Porsche Cayenne. Mechanically well built and doesn't wear out.

Went through 3 sets 19' tires then found better wear continental,brakes pads rotors all are very exp-VW needs to address.GPS awkward,outdated.No ability to add IPOD/MP3 unless you unhooked CD changer. Headlights can flicker off no warning. Carpet clasps pull off, side mirrors stick out and break, expens.

2005
By budsm3

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Same comments as most of the others: Great highway ride, strong V8 performance, Best turning radius of any car I have ever owned. Handles very well. Nicely appointed interior, comfortable seats. Downside: the brakes for wear and this car is very difficult to be smooth when driving, at very low speeds the brakes grab and the throttle response is jerky. Poor Gas mileage Overall the car has exceed my expectations and most of the bugs from the 2004 models we worked out.

Engine, sounds great and it has good performance.

Work on the brake pedal feel at slow speeds.

An SUV That Can Take You Anywhere
By docj

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

We bought this SUV so my wife, a nurse, could get to work regardless of the weather. It has consistently demonstrated it can do that in some absolutely horrible conditions. We have a set of winter wheels with Pirelli Scorpion studless ice and snow tires for it and it can go just about anywhere. In good weather it is a fun SUV to drive; in sport mode it can beat most vehicles off the line. You'd never know you had 5,000 pounds under you. Reading other reviews I have no idea why people have been complaining of tire or brake life. Make sure the wheels are aligned and select tires carefully. Initial reliability was poor but has improved a lot;not cheap to fix--$1,100 for timing belt!

V-8 power!! Bi-xenon headlights--great for country roads at night; heated steering wheel--a frill but a nice one.

Transmission is jerky even with reprogramming. Rear seat is awful for adults. The built-in CD-based Nav system is terrible--we use a Garmin instead. Not much cargo space for a big SUV.

Awesome
By taleggio

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I love my Touareg! It had a few issues early on but were fixed as necessary. It is heavy and all wheel drive, so it's tough on tires. I ditched my factory tires at 11k miles for a set of Nokian WR G2's and haven't looked back. Really the best tire for the Touareg. I had an Expedition previously, so gas mileage wasn't an issue. The FSI V6 and V8 on the newer models are a significant improvement over 2004-2007 models.

V8 is awesome! It tows my 6,000 pound boat far better than my '97 Expedition ever did. And off road ability - center and rear diff locks! I love the looks I get from Jeep drivers on the trails of N. GA and Tennessee!

CD based NAV is a pain but works well. I wish mine had an MP3 jack and deeper cup holders, both of which were fixed in newer models.