Permanent Grin
By ubeR32 on
2004 Volkswagen R32 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)
This is my 3rd VW VR6 and by far the best. VW got just about everything right on this car. The Haldex AWD and the engine combination provide a well rounded, every day driving, performance rocket. Iíve driven in STi and Evos and felt like I needed to visit the chiropractor afterwards. The R32 provides a stiff but comfortable ride. The sound of the exhaust is something that is constantly turning heads of people expecting to see an Italian exotic. The car in Black or Silver will definitely fly under the radar and "blend in". But I digress; this car is a blast to drive and is equal, if not better in some respects, than other performance coups (M3, S4, 911)
Favorite Features
The power-band seems never-ending and rumor has it that the true output of the engine is closer to 250hp (the same as the Audi TT 3.2) as VW tried to save on costs during US EPA certification and gave both the R32 and Audi TT the same engine management programming (www.vwvortex.com)
Suggested Improvements
I wish VW would have given us at least the "option" of HIDs, Navi. System (both were available in the European version) and XM radio ready headunits. Also, its a little unnerving driving without a spare tire here in the northeast where our roads look more like the surface of the moon.