1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: TDI Diesel Beetle After Seven

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4-cyl. Turbodiesel 5-speed Manual)

TDI Diesel Beetle After Seven Years
By diesel on

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

After seven years of daily use, I am still very happy with my Beetle. Other New Beetles have had reliability problems, but I have had no problems with the engine or transmission. I have had minor problems with the window switches breaking, but the replacements seem to have held up. This is a much better engine than the 2.0L gas, and it gives far better economy. The downside is whenever we go somewhere I always have to drive!

The engine is the best thing about this car. It gets great fuel economy and has great torque. I can pass almost everything on the long uphills, especially at high altitude. Everyone who drives it is impressed with the power. The styling never changes, which is good.

Cons: Many impractical features due to the design, I wish it had bought a Golf instead. For instance, car does not have a rectangular trunk - cannot carry golf bag. Also, the rear seat headroom is not good. The front pillars interfere with visibility. Finally, it badly needs extensions for the sun visors.