Great Car, but switched 1wk later
By Jack Smith on
2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)
I bought this car with a six speed stick shift. I could not get used to the clutch, and sadly I returned it a week later. I test drove the VW and the Mini Cooper at the same time. Over all the VW had the mini beat on standard features, and comfort. The stick on the VW shifts like butter while the Mini seemed notchy. The mini cooper had a feature that the VW TDI absolutely needs! Hill Hold Brake Assist! This feature is only available on the Passat. If Mini can do this for $21000, then VW should be able to for $23K. The TDI is very easy to stall on hills due to the clutch, and low RPMs. My dealer let me trade the Golf TDI for a Jetta TDI with the dsg.
Favorite Features
Standard Features. Bluetooth, Sirius Sat, Smooth Shifting Gear Box. Sport seats, 17" wheels, sport suspension. Comfort, handling, performance. Character! It is essentially the GTI with a Diesel engine. Gas Mileage. I averaged 34 City.
Suggested Improvements
The clutch! Add the hill hold brake assist feature as standard. This car absolutely needs it. RPM's drop too low on hills, and the car is too easy to stall.