2010 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
tdi is a secret
By cdlargo on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

My little TDI has a secret. It drives like a sports car and gets 40 real world mpg. I usually get tired of new cars fast. I didnt want to give up my 3 series, but I had to..-$ On the bright side, I love this car. It handles very well, has great seats, outstanding steering feel, plenty of grip and 236 ft lbs RIGHT NOW, its sooo entertaining. For my 35 mile one way commute, I can't imagine a better car. I was afraid I would miss my bimmer and I do... a little. But this car makes driving fun the way no japanese car can. My only criticism is that 1st gear is short and not very usable. This car is quicker than the numbers say once you get out of 1st, HEHE.

Great Car, but switched 1wk later
By Jack Smith on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I bought this car with a six speed stick shift. I could not get used to the clutch, and sadly I returned it a week later. I test drove the VW and the Mini Cooper at the same time. Over all the VW had the mini beat on standard features, and comfort. The stick on the VW shifts like butter while the Mini seemed notchy. The mini cooper had a feature that the VW TDI absolutely needs! Hill Hold Brake Assist! This feature is only available on the Passat. If Mini can do this for $21000, then VW should be able to for $23K. The TDI is very easy to stall on hills due to the clutch, and low RPMs. My dealer let me trade the Golf TDI for a Jetta TDI with the dsg.

Great Car Bad Clutch
By Jeff on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Test Drove Mini Cooper, VW Golf TDI, and Jetta TDI. I bought the Golf TDI with the six speed, and returned it a week later for a Jetta TDI with the DSG. Loved everything about the Golf except for the clutch. The RPM's drop so low when starting that the car is easy to stall on mild hills. Hill hold brake assist would really make the car an absolute perfect car to drive. This feature is standard in the Mini Cooper. If mini can do it for $21K, then I think VW can do it in all of their cars. Hill hold is only available in the Pasaat. Other than the clutch, the performance, comfort, and styling were amazing. Essentially it is the GTI with a diesel engine!

I love my new VW!
By Sarah on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

My dad's first car was a 1983 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI that he still drives and it still runs great, so I knew exactly what I wanted when I was looking for my first car (GTI was my first choice, but a little pricey :/). First time manual driver, but the car is so forgiving and so fun once I figured it out. I test drove the Fit, Fiesta, Sonata, Focus, Nissan Versa, and Fusion. No other car in this price range even came close. You just can't beat the styling and drive of a German car. Has tons of room for the rear seats, drives solidly and quietly at 80+ on the highway, and also is really maneuverable in city traffic. I'm getting about 33 mpg driving on highways about 70% of the time.

2010 Golf TDI 4dr Silver
By Tom on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Was in market for a bit 'more' than a Civic or Corolla (last car I owned). The Golf seems more solid, quiet, smooth, I mean it's very smooth, no engine vibration. Seats are firm, handling is good, but, if you really push it, you will want the GTI - which I considered, but wanted the TDI (for the mileage). I am getting 44.1 mpg (so far), city/highway. Had minor problem with oil leak - dealer said bad O-ring on intercooler. Had to wait 2 days for part, but dealer set me up with (free) loaner. Not all bad I guess. This car is FUN to drive. Hit the radio, open the sunroof, and Drive! It simply has a much better driving feel when compared to similar cars, and the 6 speed manual is VERY smooth!!

Nice car, great mileage, no quality.
By Hercules on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is a nice little car. The interior is very user friendly and the exterior is about as good as you can get with an economy car. Downsides, dealers mark up from MSRP because of tax credit of the TDIs. The build quality seems lacking. Within 3,000 miles it had a small oil leak which turned out to be a faulty crankshaft seal. Also the side marker lamp went out and the dealership (Lewisville VW) claimed something hit it yet the lens was still intact and undamaged. Bought the car for dependable long didtance rides but having serious doubts about it now....

In a class all it's own.
By Denster2u on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I've read many reviews about this car and price keeps coming in to play regarding the market this car competes in. I'd have to say this is a truly premium, upscale compact car with engineering and sophistication unmatched by the likes of the Mazda 3, Honda Civic, and others not worth mentioning. The execution of the VW Golf from top to bottom, including materials and build quality, refinement, comfort, and ride and handling is in a class all it's own. I thinks it's worth every penny extra over it's competitors. This is truly a driving enthusiast's car, with fuel efficiency that rivals many hybrids.

Sadly, it was a lemon
By Fred P. on 09/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Bought car and at 900 miles it went into "limp mode" where the turbo would not work. Took car to Dealer who replaced MAF sensor despite there were no fault codes at all. At 1200 miles it did it again. Dealership put us in a rental for 3 months as they waited for VW of America to release a computer update that needed EPA approval before applying. After 3 months, we worked with dealership to trade in the Golf TDI for a 2010 Jetta TDI.

Sporty, Safe & Economical
By CHDriver on 08/23/10 12:09 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I literally searched the entire US to find a car configured the way I wanted. Found the car after a seven- month search 850-miles away. The local dealership had a sold order but could not get the car. VW factory ordering is a waste of time! It is a fun car to drive. The torque is amazing! The build quality is excellent. Diesel MPG is all that I expected and more. I have the 4-dr TDI with Xenons, sunroof, 6 spd, AM, and some other stuff. Get this car!

My first VW!
By dmo on 08/18/10 16:41 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

After searching all the other cars in its class I decided the Golf was in a class of its own. So far I have had the car for a month and a half. I love the styling and drivablility. I have put 4200 miles on it going to work and a long road trip and it has been phenomenal. All driver controls are nice and trip computer was awesome on the road trip. I am getting better mileage than what is average and I drive it like it is supposed to be driven not babying it at all. So far couldn't ask for a better car. The only thing I have added since buying is the adjustable arm rest. I am 6 ft and 230 lbs and the car fits me fine

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Golf in VA is:

$134 per month*