Used 2010 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2010 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Love - Hate Relationship
By casper42

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is my very first love-hate relationship and it's with my TDI Golf.
VW clearly has design problems.
The most dangerous issue is the engine can occasionally lose all power under hard acceleration for 3-5 seconds followed by engine roaring to life with a cloud of white smoke out the tailpipe.
VW can not diagnose or replicate complaint, but NHTSA has many complaints of this for the 2009-2010 diesel.
The seat fabric is inferior and frays, the clutch on the 6 speed manual is very easy to stall with long clutch travel but very short engagement.
I also suspect inferior glass in windshield, as today I have a total of two rock chips and one huge crack...1st crack in 32 years of driving!

great value for the money, 40+ mpg is great, comfort, performance and handling are superior

quality control clearly needs to improve with VW. The manufacture also appears to have a lack of communication with local dealers. All the complaints above minus the windshield are very common to read about online in forums but dealership claims they never heard of these complaints...or they just don't want to do anything about it. Also this car has a weird door rubber seal/weather stripping problem causing the seals to rub against one another making creaking sounds like a leather jacket. VW solution: lubricate the door seals, but it wipes/rubs off over time.

Far and away the best in class
By vwgolf420

2010 Volkswagen Golf 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is my third VW. I traded a 2005 Hyundai Elantra, which was a competent car, but having had a 1969 Beetle and a 1997 Jetta before, I felt called back into the VW fold, so to speak. The only car in the class that comes close to offering the same lively character in driving is the Mazda 3, but it lacks the refinement in ride quality. Having had an 03 Mazda Pr5 and the aforementioned Hyundai in between VWs, it's odd seeing that the revs are so low as I'm driving. The ummph comes in low. I'm seeing 25/26 in the city and 31/32 on the highway. Build quality appears impeccable and the material quality is on par with MB, BMW, and, most obviously, Audis in which I've ridden or driven.

long list... That solid German feel, handling, ride quality, braking, fit & finish, the dash computer, seats are amazingly comfortable, good gas mileage (my first car with more than 4 cylinders), manuverability. I've always loved the Golf for it's quirky looks, but the MkVI is downright handsome.

Arm rest.

I love this car!
By chuck54633

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I traded my 2008 VW Rabbit 2.5L 4dr in on this car. What an improvement, the interior and exterior changes are great improvements over the '08. The diesel engine was the primary motivation for the change. Who would have thought that a car that gets much better fuel economy would be so much faster and more fun to drive.
I like that they changed back to the name golf and made the car more masculine looking.
The rabbit was such a chick car.

MPG.. I used to get about 18mpg in the gasoline version of the same car in mixed city highway driving. Now I am getting 35 - 38mpg doing the same driving. 1800rpm on the highway. The sound and performance of the turbo diesel engine. This thing is a rocket around town and the manual trans is a joy to operate. The suspension, tires and seats in this car make it feel like a GTI with a diesel engine, it's just the car I wanted and I'm glad they optioned it that way. The blue tooth hands free system is great and I love the steering wheel mounted audio controls.

Touch screen stereo controls are easy enough to use, but have that typical german esoteric quality where I end up having to constantly teach myself how to skip to the next CD in the changer over and over. It should be easier. Something in the door latch/jam area of the car is very noisy and rattly, I'm thinking there must be a TSB about it, I find it very annoying for a car that is so solidly built to squeek and rattle this much. It takes a while to learn to move this car from a stop with the 6spd manual without stalling it. The salesman at the dealership stalled it three times. I have it worked out now, and it's probably just the nature of driving a diesel, they perform differently.

10,000 Update
By deusexmaxima

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

After 10K miles in 7 months (drove from Atlanta, where I bought it, to Los Angeles), I'm happy to say that my TDI has exceeded my expectations.
Reliability has been excellent, other than the TPMS warning light that was fixed with a software update.
My best mileage has been 52.5 mpg, and the solidity has held up pretty well, even over rough LA freeways.
Acceleration is as spirited as ever, and I still marvel at the sport seats every time I sit in them (I'm almost 6'3", and achieving this kind of comfort in a small car is no easy feat).
Does anyone (who doesn't have ten kids or weigh more than 400 lbs) really need more than this car offers?
In my opinion, no.

Frugality, seat comfort, versatility of hatchback, and of course, all that torqueÂ….a lot of guilt-free fun. The car covers all points of debate favorably, and rarely leaves you with any lingering sense of compromise. That, to me, is the sign of a great automobile.

Better storage in center console.

Great Car
By M.A.

2010 Volkswagen Golf 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased the car back in July,2010 and love it. It is my very first car and I was deciding between the VW, Honda Civic, Nissan Spectra, and a KIA. I decided to go with VW because of the excellent fuel economy, german engineering, and quality that VW puts into their vehicles. I drive all highway and put approximately 700km/week. Already I have put on 13,000km in 5 months. Car is super quiet. I bought the higher edition with sunroof, touch radio, fog lights, etc.

gas mileage, I fill up when I get to half a tank of gas, which is between 400-460km, depending on traffic.

It appears there is a design flaw in the driver door. It never seems like it is closed (but it is of course). You just hear the wind from the outside at times. I haven't contacted the dealer yet.