Used 2000 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

Cutest Little Thing!
By lovemycabrio8

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

Before I bought my 2000 Cabrio 4 years ago, I looked up consumer reviews and was horrified. Fortunately, I ignored the postings and went ahead and bought one. omg! The best thing I could have done! Not only do you get great gas mileage, it fits everywhere. The check engine light came on twice in 4 years and both times all I did was open the hood and take a look. The first time, a thick rubber tube got old and had a whole in it. Cost me $2.00 & 15 minutes to change. This last time, a small rubber tube disconnected. I put it in it's place, and 15 miles later, check engine light turned off. I'm a female musician, not a mechanic and I figured it out! Use common sense, and you will be just fine!

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, Size, Convertible!

Suggested Improvements

The windows seem to have a mind of their own. Mechanics on the windows could be better.

Love it!!!
By lilauggie4

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

I don't understand why people are writing such terrible reviews, you clearly didn't get the car checked before buying it. My 2000 Cabrio is a beautiful car. It runs well, looks nice, I haven't had any problems yet. And i've had it for 5 months. It has a little over 109k miles. You guys just need to take better care of your car!! (It's not a manual though, i'm confused why I can't choose automatic.)

Favorite Features

How small it is! And the backseat is surprisingly roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little different window set up on the convertible top.

Vanessa
By sara

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

My dad bought me this car off of ebay my senior year of high school! I love it its has broke down a few times. The only real problems ive had is the abkc seat is really small. and my distributor cap and rotor died. The mass airflow thing has been a problem too. My automatic top stopped working due to the hydraulic pistions brekaing down. But its at 104,000 and still running beautifully. I absolutely love my car. and its fast and samll so you can fit into any pakring spot

Favorite Features

size and convertible

Suggested Improvements

bigger back seat

decent quality and great mileage
By boatbum

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

Frankly I am a bit stumped by some of the other reviews. This little car is pretty sound and easy to maintain. Granted, if you try to take it to a shop that is now VW savvy, you might end up with a major headache. I recently replaced the waterpump - got quotes from $475 with timing belt replacement to $1400 for just the waterpump. Same with the brakes - Midas quoted $1200 but I got them done at a small local German imports shop for $250. Do your maintenance and the car is fine. It is fun to drive, fits me easily (I am 6'5) and it gets great gas mileage. I have owned alot of convertibles and this one is very practical and dependable if you maintain it.

Favorite Features

Convertible top, interior room, visibility when driving with the top up, gas mileage. Also - the availability to disable the power top and use it manually once the power hydraulics do out.

Suggested Improvements

Terrible cup holder location. VW dealer ripoffs on parts. The local dealers are charging 2x retail for parts - shop online and save massive $$. A different method for routing the cooling system. What should be simple maintenance becomes a chore.

Whatever you do, don't do it!
By Vic1896

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible

Purchased a 2000 VW Cabrio from a used car dealership in New Jersey (that was my first mistake as I am a New York resident.) Drove the car off the lot and within 3 miles, check engine light came on. Checked fluids, proceeded with our trip home. Within 10 miles, the car's manual transmission jumps out of fifth gear while going 65 mph on a 4 lane highway. With the dealership closed (and being the car was sold "as- is", we limped home. The 2 hour trip ended up taking nearly 3 hours. Mechanic found the transmission had been replaced but not refilled with transmission fluid. Brand New tranny installed only to find the starter was also malfunctioning. Meanwhile, the check engine light was on.

Favorite Features

Really fun and cute to drive (based on the 8 hours it was in running condition.)Makes a lovely lawn ornament.

Suggested Improvements

I can only hope VW has figured out how to make a more reliable automobile since they built my '00 Cabrio.