Used 2009 Toyota Yaris Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Yaris - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Yaris

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

Nice car
By Catman

2009 Toyota Yaris S 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Traded in a 95 van that got 13 MPG on a good day and wanted a green vehicle. So far I really like my car. In the summer I average 36-38 MPG. In the winners it's more like 33-34. I travel about 60/40 (highway/city) in a hilly area. On a flat highway I get 42+ mpg. The Yaris is not a luxury car but it has a decent ride and plenty of pep. In fact it's more comfortable to drive than my LeSabre because the seats are high, and you don't feel like you're sitting on the ground like you do in a Corvette or Firebird. The center console takes some getting use to but at night you don't have any distractions and it's easier to see. Good air and heat. It's a very fine economical car

Favorite Features

MPG, cup holders. MP3 hookup. I got the bare bones vehicle without the power locks/windows.

Suggested Improvements

I wish I had gotten the 4-door. You can enter the backseat from both sides, but only the passenger side seat slides forward and back without extra effort.

Review after 17 months of ownership
By Bill

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a new car that I could reasonably expect would be economical (good mpg) & reliable (no problems). After 17 months of ownership & 15,550 miles my cumulative gas mileage is 42.7 mpg. I've not had ANY mechanical or electrical problems with the auto. I've taken it in for the 5K, 10K, & 15K routine maintenance & that is it.

Favorite Features

42.7 mpg; 38 degree cold air; 185 degree hot air; center dashboard location of instrument cluster; cruise control (a feature that I thought I'd never use, & now find I use it every day); electric power steering instead of the old hydraulic system; electric door lock

Suggested Improvements

Vinyl floor mats instead of the carpets. Carpets are difficult to keep clean & show wear. Vinyl covering on seats instead of upholstery (longer wearing & doesn't show wear)

Good little car.
By Stick Shift Driver

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

When I turned 16 my parents bought a practical economy car so I could get to school and work. The car rides nice for an economy car, and it rides and sits higher than my Dad's Honda Fit. The car is obviously not that fast, but it can swiftly accelerate when it needs to. I really like the center mounted gauges. The car doesn't really have much other than the power package, which I actually didn't want, but it was all the dealer had. The car has a lot of headroom for a tiny car, and the rear seats can fold down to make more cargo room. I originally wanted a truck, but I am happy with 42 on the highway, and I'd recommend it to anyone who is looking to buy a practical commuting car.

Favorite Features

Center mounted gauges, easy-to-use a/c and radio controls, no unintended acceleration! To the review below me, the Yaris is not a powerful car, the brakes would have stopped it if you kept them held down. And did you think to push in the clutch before 95 mph? Seriously?

Suggested Improvements

Make front cup holders so that they can hold more than a child size drink, move the center console back so your elbow doesn't bump it when shifting into 2nd and 4th, Interior could be a little less cheap, but what do you expect for $13,000?

Hybrid-like gas mileage.
By Mike C.

2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the closest you're going to get to a hybrid, without an electric or diesel motor. Right now I'm averaging about 36 mpg with aggressive 60/40 city/hwy driving. And get over 40 mpg hwy. It's an amazing car, with the room and comfort of some mid-sized vehicles. I also drive a Tacoma, and have found the Yaris more comfortable. Contrary to other posts, I have found my Yaris auto to be quite peppy. It won't set speed records, but it's very practical. I got a feeling that this will be a keeper for a long time to come.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage; deceptive roominess; and maneuverability in the city.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see it in a diesel. Getting 40 mpg now, could you imagine what a diesel would give you?

'09 Yaris
By Rob

2009 Toyota Yaris 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased my '09 Yaris. Dealer can, VERY LOW MILEAGE. I was lucky to find one with the 5 speed man. trans. With a combination of city/highway driving and I am able to get 47.8 mpg CONSISTENTLY. I am very impressed with the car's quality and the quietness of the engine even at highway speeds. As far as the center mounted instruments are concerned. At first I found them to be very awkward, but after just a few days I am very comfortable with the center location..

Favorite Features

MPG

Suggested Improvements

None