Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Excellent truck
By Joey

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is an awesome truck and very stylish. My truck the 4 door, "limited", leather, TRD, 4WD, and the color is metallic black, with black luggage rack and black nerf bars... all stock. I get so many compliments on this vehicle - even though the body style is smaller than the new Tacomas that are out at the dealerships today. To me, this is the perfect size truck for off-road and run around the town.

Favorite Features

SIZE

Suggested Improvements

The 4WD model doesn't seem to sit as high as the "Pre-Runner". I wish the truck had about a 2" lift on it.

I LOVE my Taco
By tacofans

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I loaded it up 1100 lbs. of bricks, stones, and playsand, and it hummed along with no complaints. I love the V6. In town gas mileage is great, between 19-20 mpg. Highway within the 20-22 mpg range. Best tank was 21.85 mpg with 80% hwy, 20% in-town. Just keep the speed below 69 mph for better gas mileage (but I did go 75-80 mph from time to time). Ride is not bad at all for a truck although I would change the factory tires when they wear out for better traction.

Favorite Features

Compact footprint and yet with room for my family of 4. I chose to buy this last generation of compact taco instead of the newer midsize ones. Ultra reliable. A little truck that can do.

Suggested Improvements

The clock. Cruise control kept gear-hunting on inclines but I don't use it often.

You'll love this truck
By Dennis

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

You'll love this truck! I had always wanted a tacoma and this truck exceeded my expectations. I've used it for hauling loads to the dump and hauling feed with no problem. Clean it up and it's perfect for cruising around town. "The chicks dig it!"

Favorite Features

Four wheel drive. If you have the choice, get the 4x4, you will not be sorry!

Suggested Improvements

The one problem with the 2003 Tacoma is the clock on the center console is too far to the driver's side. I often have to lean to the right to see the clock because the steering wheel blocks the view of the clock.

My 2 cents
By 4x4

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Just trying to help all that are looking into purchasing a Tacoma. This truck is good over all, yes it does have its minor flaws in the design and seems to have common problems with all us owners. It works good for me since I am single and do quite a bit of hauling and driving. The gas mileage is good on highways but poor in town, the rattles that everyone is having, I too have up around the dash. The outside noise comes from the way the wind wraps around the side of the cab and not the rear wall. I still love this truck because it is reliable and is worth almost what I paid for it. One thing I hate is when I am braking and hit a bump, the anti-lock kicks in and causes me to slide a bit.

Favorite Features

4x4, good traction, easy to use (nothing is hidden) and is an all around good truck. Extremely bright headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Since the truck has been redesigned, theres not much point in elaborating on improvements, however the clock location is bad on this truck.

It's a good truck
By the tacoma

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

it's a good solid reliable truck all the way around.

Favorite Features

The dash, body and engine

Suggested Improvements

Side air bags and knee air bags.