Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 179 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

It Gets 'er Done
By barney

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

All things considered, it's an excellent vehicle. All I've had to do is the regular maintenance. I've had no downtime whatsoever (well, except for the one recall but the dealer took care of it and gave me a free loaner). It pulled a U-Haul on my move from Missouri to California with no problem. It drives like a car. Plenty of power with the V6. The steering and the engine are very responsive which is a plus on the California freeways.

There's plenty of room in the back seat, even when the front seats are all the way back. Again, it's been 100% dependable, a big plus for me.

The plastic support on the driver's seat has cracked. Sometimes the seat belt gets stuck in the crack, which is rather annoying. The interior is a bit rudimentary, but it was upgraded for the 2004 model year. However, I prefer the body style of the 2003.

Tacoma review
By jhartt

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

It's a very practical vehicle for light efficient use and is extremely reliable.

I love the fact that I get a lot for my money and the reliability is great.

Continue to offer the option of manually enguaged four wheel drive.

Love this truck
By pixieplc

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck because I was moving out west and wanted something to get me through any kind of conditions. Driven cross country several times with no problems at all. Very reliable and stylish, I get compliments on it all the time. I was worried the cost was too high but I haven't regretted it for a minute since my purchase. I will drive this truck til the wheels fall off!

CD player and stock stereo system are both very nice

Back seats are not comfortable at all and a temperature and compass feature would be nice.

Excellent truck
By Joey

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is an awesome truck and very stylish. My truck the 4 door, "limited", leather, TRD, 4WD, and the color is metallic black, with black luggage rack and black nerf bars... all stock. I get so many compliments on this vehicle - even though the body style is smaller than the new Tacomas that are out at the dealerships today. To me, this is the perfect size truck for off-road and run around the town.

SIZE

The 4WD model doesn't seem to sit as high as the "Pre-Runner". I wish the truck had about a 2" lift on it.

I LOVE my Taco
By tacofans

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I loaded it up 1100 lbs. of bricks, stones, and playsand, and it hummed along with no complaints. I love the V6. In town gas mileage is great, between 19-20 mpg. Highway within the 20-22 mpg range. Best tank was 21.85 mpg with 80% hwy, 20% in-town. Just keep the speed below 69 mph for better gas mileage (but I did go 75-80 mph from time to time). Ride is not bad at all for a truck although I would change the factory tires when they wear out for better traction.

Compact footprint and yet with room for my family of 4. I chose to buy this last generation of compact taco instead of the newer midsize ones. Ultra reliable. A little truck that can do.

The clock. Cruise control kept gear-hunting on inclines but I don't use it often.