2003 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Finally Got It!!!
By Troy on 12/12/04 17:16 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I had always wanted a Tacoma, unfortunately I could never afford one until now. I started out about 3 years ago with my first Truck a 1999 Ranger. While this is a decent truck to start out with, I still wanted my Tacoma. So when I finally decided that I could afford one I went down to the Toyota dealer and bought a 2003 2.7L 5-Speed 4WD extended cab. It has loads more power then my Ranger(2.5L) as well as plenty of torque. While it is not a race engine, it still has plenty of power for what I need to do. I couldn't see wasting my money on a Hemi just to accelerate faster and get 8-10 MPG. The 4WD is superior to any other brand of truck, way better than the ranger.

Love the Taco
By DDragon on 11/30/04 10:08 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

TRD and Limited pkgs: Get rid of the factory tires (BF Good All Terrain), horrible in rain (pavement). Not sure Limited pkg was worth the money, but overall the Tacoma has been very reliable. Works great off-road in the mud, sand etc. even w/o 4x4. Great for anyone wanting a truck that works like a full size, but with the smaller frame and enthusiasm to play hard.

long time toyota owner
By altoona on 10/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Over all it is ok for the money. Drive train is very noisy at slow speeds or when climbing hills. I have owned toyota trucks for many years and would not even consider any other type of maker. I would like to have had a clock somewhere on the dash.

nice truck/unconfortable pedals too high
By Azael on 09/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

pedals too high make a little unconfortable to drive,other than that is good truck(trusted "toyota" owner)

My Little Mule
By John W. Angel, Jr. on 09/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

TRD Package could do without, downshifts hard when cruise is on and going up a grade, however i've had this truck less than a year and have over 33000 miles on it and its ran trouble free. It is a good riding truck. Get rid of the BF Goodrich tires. I have slid out of control with these tires. Put the Walmart Conten. tires on it and so far I havent had this problem continue.

The Competiton is Not an Option
By OffRdWarrior on 08/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Don't waste your money on the TuRD package. Get aftermarket suspension - For cheap get coil spacers, slightly more go "Old Man Emu", or the bucks get coilovers. Aftermarket lockers and your unstoppable.

2003 Tacoma
By fixandrepair on 08/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had '86 Toy P/u and loved it but needed more work so bought a new Tacoma with just the basics. I own (have ownd) many Toyotas and they are low maint/reliable. BUT noticed this is the first one not built in Japan, but in TENN, and I can tell the diff in quality.! Windows loose/rattle, creeking sound in dash, bed liner coming "unglued", paint bubbling up both sides on door at bottom. Only complaining because I love my old TOY and still have a 4rnr I'm happy with. I like my Tacoma (gave it a hi rating) but it could have been built better.

Fun to drive
By F014tomcat on 08/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

7,000 miles on it with only one minor problem. A hose to the coolant came loose, and I lost the cooant, but they fixed it. TRD package is great. Off roading is a breeze with the locking differential. Average mpg is 16-17.5, not great. Clock is in horrible position. Interior does look a bit cheap. I too have a rattle, that I cannot find. A little pricey, but so far worth the money. I love driving it.

Wonderful small truck
By JimiDGreek on 07/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Tacoma last year and I love it! Great on gas,I average 28mpg. Good ride,drives nice. A/C is ice cold. Cab is a little tight for me,I'm 5`10. No problems at all with it. I would buy another for sure. Next time I'm getting an extra cab. I feel it's a better value than a Ranger or S-10.

TACOMA 4WD 2.7L 5 SPEED
By KEEP-ON-TRUCKIN' on 07/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've always wanted a Toyota 4wd pickup, and I bought one about a year ago. It took me a while to get used to the 2.7L engine and the 5sp. But I was used to high reving engines, and this one almost runs like a diesel. Keep the revs low and change gears early, and she runs great. This is definitely a truck engine. You can feel the torque on the low end. I had an old Mazda B2000 and Nissan Frontier, and liked them both. But they would bottom out if I carried a heavy load. Not this baby! The Tacoma is made for haulin'! But don't get the 4 cyl if you're always in a hurry. It has plenty of power to haul and tow, but its not a race engine. MPG: 21-22