2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Impressed with little SUV
By Jetmyke on 04/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this RAV 4 used with 12000 miles on it. I was looking for something a little larger but with gas prices at $2.00 a gallon, my wallet was my guide. I have been very impressed with this vehicle. It is very responsive (5 speed manual) and has excellent handling. While it is not suited for rugged 4 wheel drive terrain like my truck, it handles rough roads well and climbs well for not having a low range transfer case. As far as the daily commute, I am averaging 26.5 mpg. Other than an occasional dash rattle, I am very happy with the RAV 4.

practical choice
By hilberto on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

As with my 2 forer Toyotas, Camry an 4runner it is relia ble and has thiooughtful amenities. I need a vehicle with good traction for my work, and with fuel economy. The ride is better than my 94 4runner, and is affordable

My Buddy Rav4
By Cflyboy29 on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car is great Toyota has really done a great job on the new Rav4 it drives great and rides like a car! You wont be disappointed!

1st Time Toyota Buyer
By toyotamb on 01/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Traded a 2000 Jeep Wrangler in on this vehicle. Let me say, really impressed with the RAV-4 all around. Nice to get out of a gas hog and into something with better gas mileage. Love the handling, and the 4 cyl. gives my wife and I enough power that we need. Won't win a muscle car contest, but enough to get the job done. I believe that we will become loyal Toyota owners.

GREAT CAR!!!!!
By RavChic4 on 01/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the best car I have ever driven before! Its so fun to drive, and so reliable... its also a great deal!!!

RAV4 U
By Marcus/markmils on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was skeptical about buying an SUV because I don't want to like SUV's. I think full size SUV's should serve more of a practical purpose instead of just burning fuel (towing or hauling loads). I also was concerned about the high ride height and resulting safety. Well the ute class of SUV's are practical and fun to drive and don't burn a lot of fuel. The RAV4 can be a daily commuter without giving away ride comfort. I hate to say it but I rather like the RAV4 and I've been a long time car owner. Good thing to be open minded!

Engine problems
By Somerset Ky on 12/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

With only one year and 9000 miles on the vehicle a piece fell from inside the valve cover and went into the engine doing about $3000.00 in damages to the engine. Dealership advised it was a bad design by Toyota, but would didnt think it would be recalled. The fan belt has a squeek in it ever since.

As much Sport as Utility
By Drifter 7 on 12/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My mom bought a 2002 Rav4 in Nov, 2001, after weeks of research. Since then, it has continued to impress us, not only in it's performace, but also in the utility and comfort. The only thing we have not been able to fit in was a 5'6" cabinet; even then, it was only 2 inches too long! The only reason (take note!) that I am not rating it as a perfect 10 is that my car is a 1982 RX- 7, which is a pure sports car. For some one who drives a minivan, it'll be a blast!

best dollar value in a SUV
By ic on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Outstanding value.. Terrific reliablity, Gas mileage of 28+MPG. Loads of usable space.

First Birthday
By Carol1460 on 09/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My silver Auto 2WD 2002 RAV4 is celebrating its first birthday next week with 19K miles. About 3 weeks after I purchased this SUV, it developed the infamous rattle in the dash. I've had it to the dealer twice, but it was never fixed. I was told to turn up the radio. After about six months, the rattle had become less annoying (perhaps I'm getting used to turning up the radio) and intermittent - seems to be worse in the cooler weather, but disappears when its hot or when the heater is on in the winter. Other than this annoyance, I'm happy with the RAV4.