Beating MPG Estimates
By zkeith2 on
2011 Toyota Prius Three 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I'm averaging 51-52mpg on every tank, and this is on a relatively new Prius. I've heard that it increases after the hybrid system has several thousand miles to break in. I'd highly recommend a 10 minute YouTube video on how to maximize Prius mileage, instead of reading hours worth of blogs. It's called Prius 2010 MAX MPG Secrets by Yavor54. For highway drivers, there is a huge drop in MPG as your average speed goes from 55mpg to 70mph. If not in a huge rush, you'll get much better MPG slowing down a bit. Check EZ-Pass regulations, or state benefits of having a "Green" car. You may get access to HOV lanes even when driving alone, or get discounted bridge tolls during off-peak times.
Favorite Features
Nice ride, Love the Bluetooth that's hooked up to the car's stereo system, and upgraded sound system in Prius 3. Upscale interior feel/quality. Large windows/windshield give the car an open feel. Of course the top feature is the 500+ mile range on a tank, and averaging 51-52mpg. Love this not only for cash savings, but you do feel like you're contributing less to depleting resources, considering you're going 3-4 times as far per gallon as a full-size SUV. I love going in all-electric mode for that last mile of driving when close to home and driving more slowly on side roads.
Suggested Improvements
As others have noted, the MPG gauge always overstates the actual MPG by 3.5-4mpg. I track each fillup with the actual gallons used so 51-52 mpg is my actual MPG, while my car's display shows each tank at approx 55mpg. There is no front bumper visibility, so it's kind of a guessing game when parking until you learn your car's dimiensions better. I'd think with 10+ years of hybrid technology, the car's premium price compared to non-hybrids wouldn't be as hefty. The premium is at least $3,000 and that takes 3-5 years to make up in gas savings.