Cruising on Electricity
By fyoung55 on
2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
With a super low lease price and electricity in our area under $.10 a kwh, this was a no-brainer! We live and work within 5 miles of just about everything we need, so the 12 mile range on all electric is perfect! We have an 8 yr old and a 2 yr old in a car seat, and they both fit fine in the back, even behind me at 6'2" Lots of space in the hatchback, and lots of nice features included in the base model. Have driven nearly 1,000 miles and the lifetime average is 55mpg (all electric miles included bumps up the mpg a bit).
Favorite Features
dedicated EV mode, back up camera, heated seats, awesome mpg, built in navigation. Fun bar graphs!
Suggested Improvements
The gas engine supplies heat to the interior of the car. We live in upstate NY and that means 4 - 6 months of the year we use heat in the car. We can wear coats and not use the cabin heat, but unfortunately, we still need to run the defroster to see through the front window. That means the gas engine runs, even in "EV mode." The back up beeper is driving me crazy! I have heard that I can get the dealer to change that. I'll be looking into that on my first oil change.