2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
It's Been Very Good
By Good Around Town on 07/26/09 14:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this 2009 1.8 4cyl / auto March 2008. I drive 50 miles a day and it has been good on gas 28-30 in town & 32-35 Hyw. The seats looked cheap so I bought some leather seat covers for $20.00 each and they been very comfortable. I have noticed the Paint is very cheap there are lots of chips on the hood ! A bicycle ran into the front when I was parked and pushed the bumper off to the side about 1/2 inch. I wonder how it would be in a real accident? We took a trip from Tulsa, OK. to Whittier, Ca. 3500 miles and had a very nice trip. The 1.8 cyl ran up over all the mountains with cruise control, on and the air conditioner on, and never slowed or had any problem. We're home safe and loved it.

Reliable and Practical
By axiom on 07/09/09 09:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I'm echoing what CarParker already mentioned - he has said the best. It really is a sport hatch for the pragmatic. This car feels confident on the highway and quick in the city. I personally prefer the styling of this Matrix to a lot of its competitors out there. They did a great job with the front grill. The suspension is hard and the ride can be rough in the city, but this is expected from a car of this type. Nonetheless, the stability control works well. Brakes are excellent and the seat are very comfortable for me (I'm about 5'11 200 lbs). Comfort is a premium for me since I have issues with my knees for long journeys. Overall, this matrix gives you a smooth ride and great gas mileage.

I really like this car!
By Ken on 07/04/09 05:48 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for about a month and my conclusion is I really like this car. Had an Accord prior and wanted to size down for more gas savings and better maneuverability with a small vehicle with good storage space. I liked the balance offered by the Matrix and thus far it has been a great little car. I got the 1.8 engine on purpose to save gas, and it is surprisingly peppy. I'm going to the beach and it's amazing what I can fit into such a little car. I'm having a blast!

Harsh Ride Has Gotten Better
By twocruzin on 06/28/09 13:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

No problems with this car in the 15 months I've had it. My only complaint is the way it rides on those low profile tires (45's). I think I have finally figured out the best air pressure for the best ride at 4k elevation. I've gone from the recommended pressure of 32 psi up to 35 and down to 30 and then 28. At 28, the ride was pretty good, but you could tell the tires were a bit soft as the handling was just a little mushy. Plus it's not really recommended to go that low as the tires can heat up excessively and cause a blow out. All this said, I've now gone to the other extreme and am running them at 38 psi, and this actually is the best yet. I think I'll leave them there.

Better than Professional Reviewers Say.
By CarParker on 06/24/09 10:16 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I read a lot of tepid & dismissive reviews before I purchase the Matrix S. I've driven many of the cars recommended as alternatives. I think the problem is perception. The look of the Matrix is a bit sportier than its performance. But the gap between its main contender, the Fit, is even greater. If you accept that no one really cares what you drive, so don't rely on your car to define your personality, what you get in the Matrix is Balance. I think this balance is what confounds the automag pros. A little sporty, a lot practical, amazingly reliable. Design is Clean & Simple, Driving is Balanced & Poised. Quick & smooth without being completely lifeless. A sport hatch for the pragmatic.

Decent car
By Jason on 06/23/09 06:24 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

As a previous Matrix owner I had certain expectations for the new model. My previous was a 2005 XR, my new model is the larger motor S with a 5 speed auto. The new model has much better pickup and feels more confident on the road. The downside to this is the fuel economy is lackluster. My best mileage when all highway miles was just at 30 mpg. My old matrix I averaged 30 overall with a lot of city driving, and had more than a few 36 mpg tanks. So far after only 5800 miles I've averaged 23 mpg with this car. For comparison, my old V6 Oldsmobile Alero got better mileage. I'm very disappointed in the fuel economy of the larger engine, I keep my tires inflated properly and drive conservatively.

Problems with the seats
By annemarie on 06/06/09 18:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

2009 Toyota matrix ....Grey interior ....problem with seat staining from getting wet, seats replaced 2 times front and back still having the same problems ....3 water leaks.....replaced the carpets....car still smells mildew...Is this Toyota quality???? Toyota needs to do something!!!!!!! I had a 2005 matrix - good little car, shouldn't have ever traded in.

Trip Mileage
By Lou on 06/04/09 06:30 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I recently came off a trip and the mileage I got with my Toyota Matrix was 40 mpg going and 41 mpg returning. It's no bull. I couldn't believe it myself. I never drove over 62 mph; used cruise control; and I was the only person in the car. The car operated flawlessly. I'm 73 and this is probably the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have owned many.

Good value
By Baystater on 05/25/09 08:25 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought an'09 base model 1.8L manual with power package June 1 of 2008 for 16K. Have 13500 miles on it. Smooth ride, smooth shifting, excellent stability control for cornering, excellent disc brakes, decent gas mileage (28-29 city and 34-35 highway), good cargo capacity (can fit my bike w/o taking wheel off), very readable dash, adjustable telescopic steering wheel, seat comfort lacking in lumbar support, poor paint job (easily scratches from road debris), and horrible rear visibility (almost didn't buy it because of poor visibility). Given price difference with a Prius, e.g. 16K vs 23K, I figured it was a better value. Glad I bought it.

I love my new car
By Alex on 05/23/09 07:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought a new Matrix. So far, I love the car. It drives well and with the larger engine, has great pickup. I am a large person, but with the extra headroom in the vehicle, I don't feel cramped. I think this car will meet and exceed my expectations for an economy vehicle.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Matrix Hatchback in VA is:

$106 per month*