1991 Toyota Land Cruiser Consumer Review: Best SUV for the Money

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

Best SUV for the Money
By Toyota Man on

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Land Cruiser in pretty bad shape, but I had the engine gone through from every seal and hose, and everything in between. Although the initial investment to get it running right cost a lot, I could not be happier. In the time since then I have added a new paint job, all original, new tires, battery, and went through the interior to replace missing parts. One modification I would tell everyone to do, is switch it to partial 4WD, this allows for 2WD during the the summer, or non-bad weather/roads. I bought my kit for the front differential and hubs from Australia for about $500, and the labor brought everything to under $1000.00. This has saved me tons of money. It goes anywhere.

My favorite features are the exterior rugged features, strong running engine, extremely durable, and if something breaks it really is not that hard to fix. The interior is large, and the seats fold out of the way for extra storage and space.

Needs arm rest, cup holders (plural), a lot of people complain about power, but it might no be fast, but it has power so no complaint here, I would just say I wish the seats had more cushion. In all actuality this SUV is amazing and rugged, and that is why I bought it,it does not need the everything
By lamsus
on 09/30/14 09:46 AM (PDT)

Glad that it worked out well for you! This SUV was designed in the 1990 era when gas price was about $1.19 per gallon and the gas mileage range is about 11-13 mpg. Do you happen to record your gas mileage after swapping the front diff. hub? or any difference in mpg to go from 4WD to 2WD?