2001 Toyota Camry Consumer Review: At 180,000 miles, still a Fant

2001 Toyota Camry - Consumer Review

At 180,000 miles, still a Fantastic Car
By tommysmooth on

2001 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My Dad bought it in 2003 from a dealership where it was a rental, about 4 years ago he bought a 2009 Camry and let me have the 01 for my first car. I've been driving it daily since I was 16 and have never had a bad day with it. It's quiet, responsive, and when you want power from the engine it will give it to you. It's easy to fix things yourself on, such as oil changes, brakes, even opening up the intake and cleaning the butterfly valve was pretty simple. The Stereo is amazing quality and similar to what you'd find in some luxury cars today. This car has good handling in the snow especially in 2nd gear. Overall it's a perfect first car, or perfect budget car. I've grown to love it

Favorite Features

Ground Clearance, Engine Reliability, Sound System, Interior Space, Gas Mileage, Solid Frame, Really smooth ride quality, minimal mechanical problems throughout lifetime (Doesn't hurt your wallet)

Suggested Improvements

Catalytic Converter needed replacing 7 times, Butterfly Intake Valve became gunked up after 150,000 miles (Made gas pedal stick), Some dash electronics beginning to die (Tail Light Sensor/Vent Blower speed control knob), Front wheels become misaligned easily from potholes, Lug bolts made poorly, broke one when changing flat (DIY replacement not too hard) Front Seats can be uncomfortable sometimes and cause hips or back to be sore.