Overrated as usual
By jdowmiller on
1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan
Purchased this car after a teenager totalled an otherwise perfect Nissan. Bought it based on the endless positive reviews here and elsewhere. I wasn't expecting much more than a safe commuter but it hasn't even lived up to that modest task. I have the usual problems: steering rack is broken - this is totally unacceptable, especially for a "high-quality" car; strut mounts rattle; rotors needed replaced and now brake pads squeal (regardless of brand or amount of adjustment). My belief is that Toyota's reputation for quality is based solely on their indestructible cars of the '80s and very early '90s. This generation of Camry is simpy an average car overall.
Favorite Features
Interior ergonomics are matched only by Honda and comfort is second only to Volvo. I also appreciate the conservative exterior styling. Standard features are solid and perform well (so far). Trunk is large. Despite a lack of side air-bags, the car feels quite safe.
Suggested Improvements
The shortcomings mentioned above may have been improved upon; I personally don't know. I don't know what other reviewers are thinking - this car is NOT fun to to drive. However, I realize that's not the car's intended purpose and don't hold it against Toyota....However, I DO NOT recommend this car.