1997 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Honda vs. Toyota
By geeman on 05/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan

If you are like me, I was torn between the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry. Both are very good cars, and you can't go wrong with either (probably). But the Accord is a bit more of a driver's car, it's handling a little stiffer and it's motor a little peppier (and a little noisier). Camry has a very smooth ride and is very quiet inside too. Camry owners have experienced some engine oil (sludge) problems, so if you choose an older model Camry, look inside the valve cover with a flashlight to look for black sludge. Also strut mount failures. You are looking at $250 per strut to fix!

Really nice car.
By kris421 on 05/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This car rides nice, and I love the design. They are extremely dependable, and are easy cars to take car of. Keep the oil changed and it will last you a life time.

Suspension is Horrible
By NoToToyo on 04/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan CE V6 4dr Sedan

Just bought it used with low milage a few months back. So far they have changed; both lower control arms, all strut mounts, one wheel bearing and one strut... after all of this it still makes LOTS of suspension noise. A mechanic at the dealer says it is a problem accross the board with 97-2001 Camry's. As well, I've also heard of sludge problems on the V6 engine, great.

PIECE OF JUNK
By MESSY on 04/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

I BOUGHT THIS CAR BECAUSE IT WAS SUPPOSSED TO BE A GOOD CAR. BIG MISTAKE, I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH IT. I HAD TO HAVE THE POWER STEERING RACK REPLACED, A NEW ENGINE PUT IN DUE TO SLUDGE, MY WINDOW IS GOING OUT AND THE CAR RATTLES SO MUCH IT SOUNDS LIKE IT IS GOING TO FALL APART ANY MINUTE. I WILL NEVER BUY A ASIAN PIECE OF JUNK AGAIN ONLY AMERICAN

This is NOT a sporty car
By Filo Snard on 03/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Handling is woefully inadequate and ride quality is far less than I had expected from a Camry. I can feel every bump, divot and imperfection in the road. Replacing all four struts didn't help the problem. After owning this car less than 3 years, I am already planning its replacement, even though when I bought it I had planned to drive it for at least 6-10 years. On the positive side, it is very roomy and has a very comfortable interior design. Controls are thoughtfully layed out and cabin noise is very well controlled.

Great reliable car
By kdan on 03/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Reliable, long lasting, comfortable car.

Not all used cars are the same!
By Celine Longman on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

We have two Camry's. The other is a 93 XLE V6. They are both very reliable and problem free. However I think the 97-2000 have very poorly designed headlamps. I tried replacing bulbs without success. It's the receptacle itself. The '93 puts out 100% more light than this model. The '97 upper suspension mounts broke at 100,000 miles. The brakes are not that great, needs improvement. When tires are less than 50% tread, the car veers too much either way depending on the road grade. No problem with new tires. Honda's suspention have better tracking. Will not hesitate to buy Toyota over Honda....others out of the question.

Great car - Highly Recommended
By Sean in Atlanta on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Purchased this vehicle as a certified used Toyota with 32K miles. Have had only minor problems with the car: Brakes - Feel of brakes is not very solid, and will squeal without the right pads. Don't believe the dealership about Toyota pads, I had 2 sets of them and finally replaced them all with AutoZone pads, which worked beautifully - noise free! Other than that, this car is a JEWEL. The ride is super smooth, the car has a solid feel to it, and the suspension gives a very comfy ride.

Beware:Do not purchase 97-2001 Camry's
By Sludge Car Owner on 02/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Consumers should be aware of a problem that involves the following 4 cylinder models between the years 1997-2002: Avalon, Camry, Corolla, and Sienna. These models all have the same engine which can be predisposed to an oil sludging problem. While Toyota has tried to be fair to their customers regarding repairs and possible replacement of the entire engine, I was very dissatisfied with my service to repair this issue as my engine was worked on multiple times until it was finally replaced. This car had it\s oil changed every 3000 miles without fail, and it developed such a severe problem-rendering the eventual new engine a necessity. Buyer beware!!!!

Still going strong
By toyota on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my camry new in 97. The V6 is smooth and still very strong with over 130k miles. It's been in the shop once in 6 years for a small repair. This car handles great in the snow, the traction control helps.