2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Review: Over the Honeymoon... Still lo

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Review

Over the Honeymoon... Still love it!
By HyMPG on

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Traded in my Hemi-powered 4x4 Grand Cherokee Ltd and what a difference! While lacking some of the creature comforts of the SUV, I'm more than satisfied with the Camry, especially in light of the fact that I've tripled my gas mileage. Had to drive 3.5 hours to get mine, as all dealerships in my area are sold out. Rumor has it Toyota is directing Camry hybrid batteries to the Prius, so production has been cut. Got 46 MPG during long ride home. The learning-curve to truly understand how to max MPG is steeper than expected. Small differences in driving style can really make a diff in MPG. Was averaging 34 MPG city/44 hwy for first 1000 miles, now getting 4-5 better. Best trip is 57.8 MPG.

Nice refined, but aggressive body style. Great leather seats & nav system. Turning radius is awesome. Comfortable, but somewhat generic ride. More leg room than my old SUV. LOVE the key!! Scheduled maintenance guide made my jaw drop. Power is fine, even after my Hemi. Duh, the gas mileage.

Memory settings. Better quality dashboard - this looks CHEAP. Non-shifting engine sounds like it's struggling at higher RPMs (doesn't shift). Small trunk. Upgraded JBL system underperforms. No side panel 'door ding' strips - looks good while not dinged, but won't last!