Used 2005 Toyota Avalon XLS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

NOT WHAT I IMAGINED
By bennettsbebe

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Maybe my expectations were too high, but I am not as impressed as I thought I would be. The rear view mirror cant be adjusted as it hits the ceiling because of placement, the paint is peeling. The front has mysterious issues no one can diagnose including jerking randomly, speaking of jerking the tranny does it too when it wants. The headrests are not adjustable, and the seats are not as comfortable as I hoped. I do like the quite cabin, the amazing sound system, the safety features, and the gas mileage, I have gotten as much as 31.5 on the highway. Still I think that Toyota started cutting corners on many of their vehicles staring in 05. Next car: GERMAN even if they are maintenance needy.

Favorite Features

Sound system, array of safety technology, cool looking dash and information display, moon roof, big trunk, reclining rear seats, and full size spare.

Suggested Improvements

Paint, rear view mirror placement, headrests, and seat comfort. Leather like surfaces can look cheap as does the faux wood. Boring driving experience.

Excellent
By Raj

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've been driving my Avalon XLS for past 4 yrs. Already put 95,00 miles on it. It drives more than a Lexus,280 HP - decent power and great fuel efficiency (I've got once close 32 mpg).

Favorite Features

Power and Fuel Efficiency

Suggested Improvements

I had to replace bulbs on both Head Lamps twice last year and the plastic cover on the stereo.

80,000 miles and still lovin it
By Kim

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the 6th Toyota I have purchased new and love it just as much as the day we brought it home. There have been no major mechanical issues. We recently had a new computer update put in for the jerky transmission. That problem is gone now. Take note if you still have warranty get your dealership to install the update. Love the gas mileage average 27 mpg & have had it up to 35 on expressway road trips. The motor has had a tick in it since day one (sounds a bit like an old Mercedes diesel, not as loud) but it doesn't seem to be having any issues. New brakes & rotors @ 60,000,and it seems like the muffler may be getting ready to be replaced. Have done all maintenance as scheduled. LOVE IT LOVE IT!

Favorite Features

Auto Dimming mirrors, heated seats, and adjustable sliding armrest

Suggested Improvements

The Avalon should be offered without a sunroof on all trim levels. Steering wheel tilt/telescope adjustments are not very user friendly. Cup holders in back armrest are not secure. Better garment hook arrangement would be nice.

Great Value
By JB

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a true bargain. I have owned other sedans but for the money this may be the smartest choice. This car is a true pleasure if you like a luxurious ride with great reliability. The car is smart looking without going overboard, the interior is excellent. For buyers looking for a sport feel this car is not the right choice.

Favorite Features

Interior layout is second to none.

Suggested Improvements

improve the latch on the stereo cover

Not up to Toyota hype of Quality
By My First Toyota

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

In for service many, many times for rattles and squeaks. Noise was in both front and back of vehicle. Original set of tires lasted 19,000 miles and was told by the dealer this is common for that car. They are expensive to replace as are the wiper blades. Rear brakes showing more wear than front (odd for a front wheel drive car) and will have to be replaced in approx. 5-10 thousand miles. Mileage on the road is down about 3 miles per gallon since new. All in all I guess I am disappointed in my Toyota ownership experience. It is not that it is a bad vehicle, but it simply does not live up to the quality Toyota advertises.

Favorite Features

Still love the looks and room of interior. A big car and great for travel, aside from the 14 cubic foot trunk which is a little small. I find it quiet when not rattling or squeaking. Lots of paint chipping, more than my other vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system is terrible to use. Sometimes more is not better. After having many Honda's I tried the Avalon because of its size and looks. I found the Honda's I had to be much more trouble free.