Used 1999 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

LOV E IT
By LOVE IT

1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

I love this car. Excellent in the snow, great ABS brakes. I wish like others it would take hills better and have better gas mileage. For years I never had problems except brake pads. Now my shifting isn't right. Never rusted and was outside all the time. I got rear ended and not a scratch on my car. Never had to replace the muffler and the car always started in sub zero temps. Sunroof leaks on the passenger side. Love the visibility and the trunk room is awesome.

AWD, ABS, comfort, visibility, trunk space and low maintenance.

Better brakes- higher clearance.

Not Recommended
By Ln

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Several people complain about needing a head gasket. When mine blew, 1000 miles beyond warranty and without warning, I had to replace the entire engine. It sounds as if Subaru should have sent a warning to owners, but they are the least helpful manufacturer that I have ever dealt with. Their dealers are equally unresponsive, and I have yet to find one in our area that I would ever deal with again.

Excellent handling and control in all road situations.

Better fit and finish. I hope that in newer models the window seals no longer ooze in the sun. *Much* better dealership and manufacturer relationship with buyers.

Subaru is not always a reliable car
By clemchan

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I have a 1999 Outback wagon. Ever since it reached 65K miles, I have nothing but problems. First was the alternator, then the coil, last week was the blinker and this week is the thermostat.

Good Car with Some Quirks
By JamesRPeters

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

Have 110,000 miles on the car and I bought it with 60k on it used. I do all my own work on my cars and I did not really have anything besides routine maintenance until about 103k. At that time the driver side wheel bearing went out and needed to be replaced. Soon after the front crank seal started to leak really bad. I pulled apart the front of the engine and replaced the seal, timing belt because it was due, coolant, belts, hoses, and the water pump ($60 insurance). The oil leak caused quite a bit of smoke for a small leak. Now the front seal is fixed but one of the valve covers has a leak as well as the oil pan, which are all rather close to the exhaust resulting in a slight smell.

Excellent handling, especially in the snow. Heated seats and other cold weather features for going snowboarding. Excellent cargo capacity. Good stock stereo.

Cup holders were remedied in 2000, make it so that the ABS ring does not shatter when dismantling the bearing assembly. Better fuel economy would also be good. I get 24 mph on the freeway.

Dependable car
By Brenda G

1999 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

Our Subaru L AWD wagon has been a good reliable kid car. It has never given us any problems. It has gotten decent gas mileage, which I am very grateful for now that the price of gas is high. The wagon and rack on top has been very useful for us in hauling things. If I get another car, I will get another Subaru.

Decent gas mileage. Dependability. Decent-sized trunk space and rack on top.