1999 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
The Overlooked Gem
By r_berkhei on 02/05/13 03:23 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

We have now had three Subaru Legacy/Outback wagons. We purchased our first Limited about a year ago with 155k on the clock. This car amazes me even more than the other 2 ever have. This 14 year old car performs perfectly. All the "luxury" features work flawlessly. It cruses around corners and along highways like a BMW. Take it down a dirt road and you'll fall in love. Whenever it snows, I know I am going to get where I need to go without a doubt. These cars are incredibly safe and not one function was overlooked by Subaru. Truly a quality, do-it-all luxury wagon! Only wish it had the dual sunroof..

They don't build em like they used to
By Crud on 07/11/10 14:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

I have a 1992 legacy 2.2 with 245K miles, that still works flawlessly. However, I needed a lower mileage vehicle so how could I go wrong with another Suby so I bought a 1999 which now has 101K (I think because the speedometer/odometer is garbage). The 2.2 SOHC changed from a noninterference on my 92, to interference on the 2.2 SOHC 99 (won't get off with just a broken timing belt). No speedometer cable on the 99 only cheap three strand spaghetti wires (way too many). Subaru changed from reliable, to electrically ridden piles of crap, overpriced for the reliability. Love the wagon though. Ford Freestyles are a great AWD wagon alternative,good mpg too :). Sorry Subaru this will be my last one.

I really do love my wagon!
By D.Waterhouse on 04/27/09 20:55 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

208,000 miles and still running strong. New head gasket, transmission,wheel bearings,struts,sway bars, and lots of oil leaks and I still love it. It has 2 sun roofs, 9 speaker stereo, heated leather, whats not to love. Last year in 24 hours we got 36" of snow in north Idaho, I pushed the snow with the back bumper out into the street. it came over the roof and down the hood. We're taking a family road trip to the San Diego zoo in May, in the Subaru. I have no doubt my car will do amazing. This car has blown me away every day since I bought it. I've put 130,000 of the 208,000 miles on it, the tires wear great. I just put on my 3rd set this spring. I can't emphasize it enough, I love my Subaru!

Good Car with Some Quirks
By JamesRPeters on 12/26/05 01:56 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

Have 110,000 miles on the car and I bought it with 60k on it used. I do all my own work on my cars and I did not really have anything besides routine maintenance until about 103k. At that time the driver side wheel bearing went out and needed to be replaced. Soon after the front crank seal started to leak really bad. I pulled apart the front of the engine and replaced the seal, timing belt because it was due, coolant, belts, hoses, and the water pump ($60 insurance). The oil leak caused quite a bit of smoke for a small leak. Now the front seal is fixed but one of the valve covers has a leak as well as the oil pan, which are all rather close to the exhaust resulting in a slight smell.

I'm Done with Subaru
By Real CT Card on 10/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

Burnt valve. Complete engine replacement. Need I say more, but I will. We (family) bought this car as an SUV/Minivan alternative and as a good, all-around utility vehicle, but now that we have 2 kids it is way too small. The car is completely underpowered--I always had my foot to the floor. Both my wife and I have owned three subarus in the past, but we are now thru. I needed 150,000 miles out of this one, and only got half that. Its now for sale, after a $3,000 repair. After a little research, It appears that they had problems with this engine and reverted back to the SOHC design the next year.

My Dream Car
By Indy Bud on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

My family has owned Subarus since 1974. When the Outback was introduced I knew that was the car I wanted. Everyone I knew that owned one loved it. It is roomy, comfortable, and will get through any kind of weather! I have filled the back with plants, rocks, furniture, and dogs. The only problem I have with it is the cup holder in the front seat. It blocks the stereo and heater controls. But I know they changed that in 2000.

Love this car!
By 2manybooks on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought it new, have loved it for 77,000 miles! Totally reliable, great car for city and highway driving, wonderful in our Colorado snow, I love the SW's capacity for hauling my stuff. I was able to buy a total creampuff 2000 Outback recently, and I've been sluggish about efforts to sell this 1999 car, 'cause I've liked it so much!

Quirky little bugger!
By Confused owner on 01/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

I've had this car for a few months now and it's already been in the shop three times. I actually love the car but wish that a mechanic could deteremine why the car has difficulty shifting from reverse to drive (it's an automatic transmission).

Subie's good!!!
By vxr on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

Just bought a used subie(30th year limited outback edition) a couple of months back. I have already put 4k miles in two months, just roaming in- state of colorado. Because of it's high ground clearance, I am able to take it onto dirt roads filled with snow which I wouldn't dare otherwise. Subie's vibration damping is good and body roll is largely contained during twisty turns on the mountains. I really like this car & just couldn't wait for the ski season.

Great Car but Subaru Dealers SUCK!
By mila on 10/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought the Subaru wagon used in June 2002. Had a oil leak problem that has escalated to a severe problem. Under warranty, took to dealer to fix. Dealer mechanics are idiots! Customer service was horrible! They treated me like crap! But I still love my car.