1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews 2

1996 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

Outback Wagon (2.2L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Love my Subaru
By Karen on 08/28/05 13:37 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car all around. No major complaints over the 9 years I've had it. I get 21-24 miles per gallon with mixed city and highway driving on a daily basis. Travels long distances well and can pack a lot of stuff inside and on top.

Read me....
By danklug on 03/25/05 12:31 PM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car has 297,000 miles on it. It has been very reliable and still gets close to 26 mpg. This is not a car to buy if you are a do it yourself person. The spark plugs are impossible to change without dislocating your wrist. The replacement parts are high. It eats brakes. Heater lamps burn out constantly. The 2.5 engine leaves a lot to be desired. Overall a good car and a great value for the $4K range.

Poor Suby! It got totaled.
By Gregsly on 02/18/05 15:36 PM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car as a lease return. During warranty coverage an engine seal went out (about $700). Had one alternator, and a sensor go out. The car has 3 oil leaks which would cost $2,000 to fix, but use only 1 qt/3000 miles, so I opted not to fix them at my mechanic's suggestion. He said that these leaks are endemic in this car and will just return if fixed. Dash lights have failed bit by bit. That said, I loved this car. Great to drive in snow/ice, reasonable power, reasonable economy. It was totaled a couple weeks ago so I'm in the market for another one.

Warning Against This Vehicle
By Alicia HB on 01/03/05 23:06 PM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Engine problems. I have experience to prove it. Had it for 1.5 years and sunk over $3k into it. The previous owners, I later learned, put $6k into it in 4 months (ended up having the same mechanic...)Fun car, handles well and carries a lot, but ends up costing too much. Had it in the shop for regular $200 to $600 repairs. Always losing air in tires. Poor rims. Firestone tried to sand rims down since they were so poor so that I would not lose air continually.C urrently shopping for Toyota. Good advice from reliable mechanic--if you want a Subaru Outback wagon, get a 2000/2001 or newer to avoid the known engine problems.

I love this car!
By shey69 on 11/08/04 12:46 PM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my third Subaru wagon and they just keep getting better. I'm not easy on cars, but these Subarus take the beating and keep on running in style. Not to mention I can drive past most cars stuck in the mud and snow. I take alot of long trips and this model is sooo comfy. I always reccommend Subaru AWD to my friends.

DON'T BUY OVER 60K MILES!
By T Paul on 10/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car with 65K and had to put a miminum of $1500/year to keep running! MINE HAS 100K NOW. Multiple failures and trust me, YOU CAN'T FIX THEM YOURSELF! You can't even change sparkplugs without a special tool. DON'T BUY THIS PIECE OF JUNK! My short list of repairs: window switch $250, oil pump $1000, DASH LIGHTS $250, rear hatch stuck $150, starter $400, alternator $400, FINNALY transfer case seals $1500! I did all dealership visits thinking I would prevent breakdowns but I WAS WRONG! I'M SELLING. ANYONE WANT TO BUY?

Very good car.
By enriquemm73 on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Very reliable and safe car. Good stability, even in unfaborable weather conditions. Manteinance in not quite expensive and Subaru dealers are usually fast and reliable. Integrity is not greatly affected by weather but for a few pieces like the gas stay of the rear gate which may become rusty. Nice traction in snowy and/or icy roads.

Great Vehicle
By thor831 on 12/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I'm very happy with this vehicle. The AWD is great. Goes right through snow.

No Toyota or Honda
By T. Rush on 11/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Subaru has had alternator replaced, light bulbs in dash burned out and extremely expensive to replace. No thought given by Subaru to maintainability. Paint job thin and not durable. Second set of tires, still losing air pressure (since day one, up to 3 lbs per week per tire).I assume issues are with the factory rims. Oil leaks here and there requiring seal/gasket replacement. Not up to par with Toyota or Honda in my 30 years of car ownership experience. Still driving my 89 Camry All-Trac with 186K miles and aside from routine maintenence, have spent less in repairs than I have on the 96 Outback.

Legacy of Subaru
By Romeo Enciso on 06/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Our Subaru is reliable & sturdy. Excellent car in cold wether or heat. Very durable and stable, excellent road handling & pick up. Ours has heated mirrors & seats. Fold down seats & rear cover. We like the interior layout. Seating seems stiff after long drives.