Used 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1996 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

I love this car - the best I ever had
By Myra

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I live up a rock based road of 3 miles off a 2 lane black topped road. This car has had very few repairs in the 12 years I have owned it and used it. It is a comfortable ride despite rough roads; I love to turn corners in it - it is so easy to steer and turns on a dime (well, never really tried that, but you know what I mean). Just took it for its annual check up, all it needed was oil changed and tires inflated. It's supportive like a good man, without the hassle of inviting it into the house!

Favorite Features

Steering, dependability, comfort, size for hauling booth items to fairs etc.

Suggested Improvements

That little cup holder - it doesn't hold usual size cups.

1996 Subaru Outback wagon AWD
By frank

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car has 350,000 on it and its' still going. However, I had to replace the engine. Watch out for engines in this car - they eat oil. I put in a used 1996 engine and started have oil eating problems within the first month. Oh, well, its still running! I'd buy another Subaru

Favorite Features

High off the ground. Interior room. Visibility

Suggested Improvements

Carpeting stains. Need more room for storage up front. Improve rust resistant treatments.

Future cult car?
By aimee

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car. I live in New Zealand a country with all types of terrain, this grand wagon badged SUV tackles mud, snow, shallow rivers with an ability riviaing the best. Of course on road dynamics excel too. I'm unsure if many owners/admirers are aware of their off-road ability. Reliable, no motor troubles and smooth auto. 87,000km going strong. Brilliant 4WD layout. Added all-terrain tyres, plan to lift suspension 1.5"(37mm)

Favorite Features

Under-rated off road ability, not bad on gas, total comfort and reliable

Suggested Improvements

Although not designed for really hard core, they could do with a front bumper that allowed slightly steeper approach/decent angles, as this cars ability is somewhat hampered by even the current models over-hanging ones.

96 Outback Wagon
By mikesreed

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought used and LOVE it. Car is most reliable vehicle I have ever owned in my 37 years. Outstanding in all weather and especially in snow. Subaru value is unmatched in all aspects.

Favorite Features

Ground clearance.

Suggested Improvements

More power. Newer models available with turbo. Get it.

Super 'Ru
By Lil Joe Rice

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

There are few words to accurately describe how much I love my 'Ru. It's absolutely amazing! I ford rivers/creeks in it, I've driven through 2 feet of snow in it, climbed rocks in it. Plus, I put about 60 miles on it a day going to and from work. All in all, it's the best all around car I've owned in my driving career and it has effectively sold me on the brand. I own my dream car. It will never win a drag race, it will never place high in a mud bog, but it gets me to work everyday, regardless of weather, temperature, terrain or obstacles. I've even been known to drive over a parking lot barrier or two just to prove the car's mettle. How do I feel about my 'Ru? In a word or two: It's amazing.

Favorite Features

The AWD is indispensable. Also, the trunk space is extremely useful. I also love that I don't need ramps to change the oil. The filter is easily accessible from a lying position and it's that way on EVERY 'Ru I've seen, not just mine.

Suggested Improvements

I believe my gas gauge is defective, but I still get decent mileage according to it. Also, the heat shield underneath rattles quite a bit, but with my off-road use, it's decidedly obvious as to why. I would also like to see better wheel well innards, as my engine is dirtier than sin itself.