Used 1996 Subaru Legacy LSi Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Great car but 2.5L mechanically is terrible
By emilyxmay

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased 2.5L Legacy Outback 10/09 - 156k - w/o inspection. W/in a week $1400 transfer case repair...had no AWD. Wonderful AWD now, BUT has cost $4500 past 2 yrs incl transfer case, timing belt, radiator + bi-mo. repairs. A/C has never worked. Ck eng light on constantly altho turns off by itself several days later. Recently a long-standing misfire issue became full blown problem. Car barely started making noises like a starter problem, shook horribly, probably only running on 1 cylinder. Today, it does start, runs somewhat smoothly, engine sounds odd. Blown engine? Will miss my beloved Outback. R.I.P. Now allocating my Suby repair budget to buy new car.

Favorite Features

Such a champ in bad weather! Extremely dependable til recently. Lived in Colorado mntns. Used studded snows. Job required driving on treacherous, icy mountain back roads. Sure footed car never failed me. Co-workers driving 4WD pickups did not fare so well. Several slipped off the road...although they were very experienced 4WD folks. I like how the car is solid and suspension isn't "mushy". Yet the ride is good. Comfortable car and seats. Interior in perfect cond, no rips, tears. Dark green paint still glossy. For a 4 cyl, zippy on major mountain highways, even passing. Very dependable car til the misfire issue went downhill into a probable blown engine.

Suggested Improvements

Since this was the first year for the Outback, it has many mechanical issues with the 2.5L engine. My car has had just about all of them, although didn't need to replace head gasket. It may have already been done since purchased at 156K. Too bad first year models always seem to be a guinea pig and aren't such reliable cars. The only improvement I'd suggest is that the mechanical issues be resolved. I believe Subaru has proven they have with subsequent years. I have been very satisfied with the performance of this car, even with all the problems it's had in past 2 years.

Keeps stalling
By Louisa

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

I have owned this car for only 5 months and it has been a horrible experience. Its check engine light keeps coming on. I changed master air flow, a wire, the differential, and the main computer. The car is still stalling in traffic and other most inopportune places. I bought this car for my daughter's 21 birthday and she has only driven it maybe two weeks out of owning the car. What else could it be!!!!

Favorite Features

Love the way it handles when it works and great in the snow. Very comfortable and lots of room.

Suggested Improvements

Whatever is making this car stall needs fixing. Cup holder in bad spot.

1996 Outback
By dblanchj89

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

This is hands down one of the best cars on the road. I purchased one of these after I spent thousands on repairing the constant flaws of my explorer and Jimmy. I could not be happier with this car. I was so please with it that I bought another 96 LSi. My only warning is to make sure you watch your oil! My outback uses a little on freeway trips but the LSi uses it quite a bit. Also, do not be upset if you have to replace head gaskets. The Lsi had them done and the outback has been lucky so far with almost 200,000 miles (knock on wood). The AWD is great and fuel economy is pretty decent. These cars will last over 300,000 miles. Timing belts made need to be done as well. Still a great car!

Favorite Features

AWD, handling on curves, rugged outback exterior, seat warmers!

Suggested Improvements

better lighting on dashboard climate controls.

Proves Reliable Year After Year
By Russ

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

I could not be more satisfied with acar. I bought it used with 76k miles on it, and 4 years later I have 149k and going strong. Routine maintenance issues, a gasket here and there, and an alternator, and it is still going strong! No tranny issues. Just a great car!

Favorite Features

Look, style, reliability, comfort,

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder design, leg room in front passenger seat

Thousands in repairs
By Glenford

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

We purchased this car new, and have always maintained it at the dealer. Over the years, we have not only had too many unexpected repairs (antenna, alternator, compressor, engine seals, engine seals, engine seals), but we repeatedly get it fixed only to have to return the next day for "final fixes". Compared to our 95 Honda Accord, this was so much less reliable we will not consider another Subaru.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive has always been good in our snowy state (NY)

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, cup-holder design, fuel gauge always reads low.