Used 1996 Subaru Legacy LS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Climb a tree if you hit it right!
By rainbowrev

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan AWD

This was the second car i ever owned and after a Hyundai Elantra this eas a god send. The 4 cylinders are great on gas especially on the highway. I took it mudding because i was young and kept up with a 4x4 bronco in the mud. I kept the gas down and it kept moving. I had alot of fun on ice as well, the awd is remarkable. I put alot of wear into that car but it never let up. I wrecked the suspension(totally my fault!) but it took a serious beating. also destroyed the bearings which where a cheap fix. lifters ticked after 157,000 miles with an oil leak. coolant problems at 175,000 miles but a new radiator for 1oo bucks self installed corected this. I sold it cheap. Loved the car. Great buy!

Favorite Features

Awd, frameless windows, suspension, mpg, trunk, solid frame

Suggested Improvements

interior, a v6 would have been nice too

Subaru Legacy LS AWD
By Brett

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan AWD

Subaru Legacy LS sedan with AWD - the best car I ever owned! It went almost everywhere my Jeep can go, and it rarely had any mechanical problems. When it did, it was very inexpensive and very easy to fix. My job requires a lot of driving and the Subaru did it all ... through the snow, the rain, all day and all night! I stayed on the road and watched everybody else go in the ditch. I even got rear-ended by a car-hauler 3 days ago. With over 175,000 miles on it now, the Subaru may have seen its final day, but I walked away from the accident, and my next car will probably be another Subaru.

Favorite Features

The AWD and overall handling. Driving on ice and snow was great! Just slow the speed down and watch out for everybody else. I always made it to work and wherever I needed to go. Also the car handled corners great. I could whip around corners and take exits ramps just like James Bond.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder in mine popped out from the dash and was above the radio. If it was really hot out, the condensation from my drink would drip on the radio face, and onto the shifter. It was also pretty flimsy. Other than that ... nothing. Great Car!

Awesome 1996 LS AWD wagon
By sunnie

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this wagon from a friend who purchased it new so I have driven it for 9 years, as I drove for her. It has been reliable, comfortable and great fun to drive. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone, but especially old sports car buffs as it handles like the a dream. With 87,000 miles there have been no serious mechanical problems, only routine stuff like battery, tires, etc.

Favorite Features

Sunroof and electric door and windows.

This car is built to last
By dudemanken

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car new in 96 and have amassed 133K+ miles. There was never any major issues with this car. It has been flawless in all weather elements, especially in some recent brutal Northeast snowstorms. And, with the fold-down seats, it has held up well for the weekend warrior Home Depot trips. I will be trading the car in today for a Mercedes E320 4Matic and hope the new car will hold up as well as this Subaru.

Favorite Features

Reliability (Cold, Hot, Rain, Snow). Great Gas Mileage. Fold-down rear seats. Very roomy for a car of this class.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder design - It's right in the middle of the dash, blocking the vent and radio controls. Light bulb behind vent controls went kept malfunctioning; eventually stopped fixing it.

Oil Seal Defects
By QuintrKD

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan AWD

Oil Seals on my wife's Legacy went bad at 75,000. About same mileage as went my Oil Seals went bad on my Forester. After some research, I've found that this is a relatively common and recurring problem. I like the AWD, but I'll never buy another Subaru as Honda's and Toyota's appear to be more reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Fix oil seal defects.