Used 1995 Subaru Legacy Brighton Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Expensive fixes!
By Ryan

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

It is a great car, but stay away from anything from the mid-west or north-east. The fuel filler neck will rot away, the tank will leak (which requires the disassembly of the whole back end to remove and replace) Stay away from automatics not reliable . The doors will rot away with the brake lines. The exhaust system is among the most costly to replace of any mass-produced vehicle(2 catalytic converters a mid-pipe resonator, and an expensive muffler. Seals and timing belt, etc. is a must after 100,000. Stay away from the 2.5 unless it already had the head gasket replaced.Th The 2.2 is the champ. I have put over $4000 in this vehicle since i bought it last year. Not an economy fix

Favorite Features

I live in Park City Utah, and drive this up mountains daily. It rules. Kick sideways, recover, down-shift, weeeeee.

Suggested Improvements

Undercoat it. Make sure all tires are the same tread, and the pressure is the same, or you could end up replacing the transfer clutch. If you test drive one turn the wheel all the way and drive in circles left and right. If you feel binding, screeching, sketchiness, etc. walk away.

Stable Workhorse in Snowy country
By hampsters

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this used with 95000 miles from a dealer in 1999 for $6500, we have had the car for 5 years now, and the only work we have had done is brakes, spark plugs, and belts. The car has 160,000 miles and runs great, no problem with the a/c, we drove in 12 inch snow during a bad snowstorm and it had no problem, passing up more expensive and prettier cars. Great Reliability. For snow country this is a wonderful machine.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive. Will not stop working. Nobody even in detroit wants to steal this car (kind of ugly).

Suggested Improvements

More head and legroom (my 75 inch husband just does not fit). Quieter and more powerful engine.

College Vehicle
By lordjustice

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

I'm a poor college student, so this was a great choice of car for me. It was very affordable, and I know I can rely on it to last until I'm done with college. It's roomy, gets good mileage, and with teh five speed transmission it's fun to drive. The additional cargo room is a huge plus when moving back and forth between home and school. The exterior looks great, so even though I'm driving a station wagon, it doesn't cramp my style.

Favorite Features

Large cargo space, very reliable, low maintainance

Suggested Improvements

The stereo system is a little weak. I'm a real music lover, so this matters to me, but may not be a problem for others. If you like to really hear your music you might want to upgrade the stereo system and speakers.