A Little Sports Car Lies Beneath
By 26 xB owner on
2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)
Forget the xB's exterior styling, you won't see it inside the car. In fact, it's box shape makes it a roomy car. Buy one and you'll think you're stealing from Toyota. I've brought home a 27" TV with it's package. I doubt you can pull that one off in a Camry. It's so roomy it'll have people fighting over the rear seats. The ABS help me saved a little kid within a week of delivery. When the curve says 25, you can throw it in there at 35 and edge it up to 45. The steering is light but NOT numb like many other Toyota products. I only wish it had an extra gear (more on that). If the Miata is a solid 10 in fun to drive and the Celica is a 9, the xB is a respectible 8. But those are only toy cars.
Favorite Features
The power, thumping Poineer MP3 stereo, ABS, the usefully roomy box shape, how the center instrument leaves plenty of shelve space, deceptively good handling, and low price.
Suggested Improvements
It needs a 6th gear and a lower 1st gear. It's loud on the highway and I feel like I'm killing the clutch in San Francisco. Bring back Tercel's shifter. I drive it a lot so cruise control would be nice. It rattles a bit occasionally but this isn't a complaint. I would rather have reliable mechicals, which it does so far.