Used 2006 Porsche Cayman S Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Porsche Cayman-s - Consumer Reviews

2006 Porsche Cayman S Coupe

Base 3.4L 6-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (53 reviews )

Most Helpful|
New Car Impressions
58,181 of 58,185 people found this review helpful
By Tech Guy

2006 Porsche Cayman S Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

I discovered a new white, brown leather Cayman S in the garage a couple of weeks ago; a gift from my wife to liven up a long commute which it does nicely. It has Bose, heated seats, power seats, all the stuff in the performance package plus and I have put on 610 lawfully driven miles so far with no surprises. The manual says take it easy (keep it under 4,200rpm) for 2,000 miles. That means 1,260 not very exciting miles ahead. After that I can tell it is going to be a sweet ride. Its initial fuel consumption is sky high but should improve. I had the 3M clear bra film installed. The car is tight, supple, loud, sticky, fast and driving it might be the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Favorite Features

It has decent storage. The engine sounds great if you like listening to the engine noise behind your head. The tires stick to the ground like glue. It is very nimble and has a supple suspension. It has a great clutch and shifter. The Bose stereo sounds amazing, even with all that noise happening. The fit and finish throughout is flawless.

Suggested Improvements

It needs XM, more seat travel, the ground clearance is a constant concern - the air dams rub on very mild slopes, and it has poor rear visibility. This car needs a spare tire or run-flats or at least TPM. Routine maintenance should be included at this price point during the warranty period.

Simply Amazing and Still strong at 95k miles
By vitoaf

2006 Porsche Cayman S Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

This car is the best daily driver true sports car you will ever own (unless you want to fit more than 2 ppl). I've driven Lambo, Ferrari, etc... truly amazing cars, but not daily drivers. In this car you can fully utilize it's power and agility on the road while having the reliability of a Honda or Toyota. I'm near the 100k mark and have had no major issues. You want a safe car? This is it. You have all the tools you need to be an offensive driver and when those tools fail, you are surrounded by airbags to soften the blow. This car will follow your line of sight and place you exactly where you tell it to. It's an extension of the driver. This could easily be the only car I ever own.

Favorite Features

The driving experience, and build quality. My car is lowered a little bit on 19's and I drive through some terrible roads in Houston barely suitable for 4x4's on a daily basis. I will put any car through the ringer, and safe to say I am thoroughly impressed with my PCS! It's practically indestructible. The car drives like an extension of you and responds exactly how you would expect it to. I don't buy a car to sit it in a garage, my vehicle is my tool, and just because it's a "Porsche" does not mean I will treat it differently, in fact I expect more from it. This car exceeds all of my expectations. Would love to see it in a 24Hr Lemans race.

Suggested Improvements

Only thing I can think of is that it can get a bit warm in the cabin after a day of hard driving since the engine is directly behind you. Nothing the A/C can't fix though. Easier access to the motor would be nice. Kind of a headache to have to open the top back there. The keys to the car sometimes pops the front trunk accidentally. Can't really think of anything that the average driver would deal with.

Better than the 911 I have dreamed about
By srryofcr

2006 Porsche Cayman S Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

Unlike all other sports cars I have owned or driven my Cayman S loves to dance. As an instructor for various car clubs I have had the chance to drive many Porsche products the way they were meant to be - on the track. The Cayman S in stock trim can run with race prepped older 911s and does a great job at hanging with the 997 cars. In my opinion to get a better track car you'd have to buy a GT3. To boot it has available all the creature comforts that you can afford to add, good economy (28mpg highway in my experience), and is a comfortable cruiser for 2 for the weekend. It gets looks all day long, as they are "rare".

Favorite Features

The steering input and feedback is perfect. The brakes are confidence boosting and solid. The shifter is the best of any 6 speed I have driven - acura/honda included. The A/C Max button must channel cold air from both poles... zero to goosebumps in seconds. The Xenon headlights are phenominal. The Bose stereo is an expensive must - it drowns out the over the shoulder hum when you dont want it. I regret not having sport chrono- which can be added by the dealer for ~1k.

Suggested Improvements

Watch the center exhaust when getting out luggage from the back... its scalding hot! I service my own vehicles - the Cayman takes twice as long to do anything as anything else in our fleet - improved serviceablity would be appreciated. The rear hatch on my car (with less than 10k mi. on the odo) thunks... dealer(s) say that goes with owning a Cayman... its not terrible but unacceptable in a 70k car.

Flawless
By Porsche #5

2006 Porsche Cayman S Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

The Cayman S is best all around Porsche I have ever owned. The quality is excellent. The Cayman S is well balanced between power and handling. Great roadablity around town and when I select the PASM and it is outstanding. And the servicing is only 2 year or 20K.

Favorite Features

PASM, Xenon Headlights, the design interior and exterior.

Nonstop problems
By gregory

2006 Porsche Cayman S Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

I have had nonstop problems with my Cayman s 2006 converters had to be replaced, check engine lights several times, air bag lights and now a new clutch system because the wrong one was put in from the factory. Oh yes coolant light comes on but it is not low check the Cayman forums before you buy Porsche dependability was ranks last according to a recent survey

Favorite Features

Sharp looking car

Suggested Improvements

Do not sell the car until it is ready