1999 Pontiac Grand Am 3.4L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - grandam it!

1999 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Review

SE2 Coupe (3.4L V6 4-speed Automatic)

grandam it!
By sad owner on

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 2dr Coupe

This car is the worst thing ever. Got the car w/105K mi on it back in June 2009. While it's got some giddy-up and handles well, it's kind of horrible not knowing if/when the brakes are going to fail. I've had to put a new ABS motor ($2K) in it, and now, less than 6 months later, the whole braking system is shot. And I'm not talking about shoes and rotors, which it eats like a kid eats candy. It also runs really hot, esp. in summer weather. The AC doesn't work, and the driver's window keeps falling. Also it's an automatic, but can't get it to downshift in to 1st with the shifter, something it should be able to do willingly.

Favorite Features

it has a certain "ooo shiny" factor, visually it's nice, but its aesthetic appeal doesn't make it stop, so I can't say I count it for much.

Suggested Improvements

How about Pontiac trying to design a braking system that works? Of all the things to crap out on a car, a brake system that fails can get MANY people killed. I'm not driving this thing AGAIN, fate willing, and I am not shy about driving. It almost went through my folk's house since it wouldn't stop.