Used 2013 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

2013 Nissan Frontier

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

A Jaunty Truck
By igopogo

2013 Nissan Frontier SV 4dr King Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased new, currently at 16 months and 13,000 miles. The size of the KC truck is ideal for my purposes; roomy enough to accommodate two people (good sized) with luggage inside. Its dimensions are not too big to handle todayís traffic and parking situations, but are large enough to provide a comfortable ride. I wish it were quieter but will try to improve this area with future tire selection. I prefer the Frontierís more upright chair-like seating position over the Tacoma (the only other truck I considered).

Favorite Features

6-speed manual transmission, performance, right-sized truck, curb appeal

Suggested Improvements

Road noise reduction

Cheap to buy, cheap to own
By robert_bell

2013 Nissan Frontier SV 4dr Crew Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this to tow our 3,500 lb Casita travel trailer. We added a Leer Cap. We have a 2013 crew cab SV with 4.0 2WD and 5-speed auto. The 265 HP is more than adequate and beats our old BMW X5 3.0 by at least 30 HP. Steering at highway speeds is vague and it wanders, but I noticed the tires are wearing on the inside and I believe the factory set the front-end with too much toe-out. The headlight aim needs adjusting, too. The sterro is OK, but the iPod starts by itself sometimes for no reason. We added add-a-leaf springs to the back for towing, as it sagged a bit when loaded. Overall, it was about what I expected for a $25,000 vehicle.

Favorite Features

Horsepower, and lots of it. Nice 5-speed tranny, standard backup camera (in SV value package trim). Pretty OK stereo. Factory spray-in bedliner. Lots of rear seat room. Rear seats fold up two ways, has underseat storage. Tow package pre-wired for brake controller (controller harness, $35 part!). $25,000 out the door, with dealer installed options and SV value package. Cheap!

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, it gets 20, barely. Seat lowering mechanism - seat is too high with manual seats.

Manual midsizes, a lonely club
By chriscmore

2013 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I chose the Frontier over the Tacoma, because the Frontier is 5% smaller but with a larger bed, and a larger engine with better economy. It's also noticeably a few years fresher in design. I got the now-discontinued PRO-4X with 6sp manual, which had to be shipped from Oregon to Nebraska. The 6sp is a lot of fun, but the reverse gear is hard to find and should have been to the left like German autos. The tailgate extender is nice because it's easy to remove. The bed divider is functional but a bit obnoxious in that it's not an easy one-side affair to move or get out of the way. Love the step rails and tie anchors. The cruise control didn't work and I have an oil leak to have serviced.

Favorite Features

1) Midsize is the perfect size for those that plan on putting it in a garage. The Titan is 30% larger. 2) Extended (King) cab is great for the added utility with a couple small kids, but without sacrificing the main purpose of the truck - the bed. 3) Unless you're using it as an urban commuter, I adore my 6sp manual transmission. This truck does what I tell it to do. 4) The PRO-4X package is great, although I'd do the SV if I had to. I got one of the three last PRO-4X manuals out there. 5) Ride height. Even though this is a 4x4 with an off-road package, the bed is still easy to load. The tailgate is at crotch level and the sides of the bed at armpit level.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy. I average about 18 mpg, which is pretty poor. Fortunately for me, this will be a low-mileage utility vehicle. LED headlamps, because large headlamps already look dated. Build to order. My local dealer wouldn't order a custom configuration for me. When a dealer 3hrs away did, after a month the factory decided not to make it. When the website says "build", allow people who are willing to spend the time and money to get exactly what they want. I almost had to get a Tacoma. This would add cost, but a variable-height air suspension would be amazing in a 4x4 truck.

Rugged and Reliable
By rod71

2013 Nissan Frontier SV 4dr Crew Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had this truck for about 7 mths now. Bought new. It is a rugged little truck. I say little even though it's consider as a mid size truck. On the out side it gives the illusion that it's has a roomer interior. Nissan could have made it a few in wider and added a few in of leg room for back seat passengers. 1 week after having the truck I exp. a loud clanking noise during start ups, and while driving until the engine warmed up. The dealer tried to tell me it was normal but turn out to be a loose cooling fan. Now my driver's side window makes scraping noise when the window is let up or down. Looks like I need a new regulator. Other than that it's a great truck, but with bad gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Good rugged look, cool coolers, instruments easily accessible. Nice all terrain/weather tires. Easy to change bulbs. Good passing power. Smooth drive. Semi comfortable seating. I say that, because I don't think they will as comfortable on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

Wider cab to feel lest crap. More leg room in rear for passengers. You have to pull up your seat to give the passenger the room they need making you too close to the steering wheel. Better blue tooth. Blue tooth seems to not recognize some name one day, but will the next day. Bad gas millage for a midsize truck when hauling nothing. I got better gas mileage in my Maxima, which was a sport sedan, and it had 30 horses more. Slow to 0 to 60. Need more aftermarket accessories and step bars should comes on all, for the price they are selling them for.

I love this truck!
By clconner

2013 Nissan Frontier SV 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a Tacoma TRD crew cab and while I enjoyed the truck, I didn't enjoy paying for it. A few years later, I find myself in the market for another vehicle, so I gave the 2014 Frontier SV 4x4 a try... and it's every bit as great as the Tacoma, minus the sticker shock. It handles great, rides smooth (takes potholes in Northern Virginia like a champ), has a lot of get-up-and-go, and the interior is even more comfortable than my Tacoma was. I'm looking forward to owning this truck for many, many years.

Favorite Features

I like the little things the most, like the USB iPod connection being located within the center console. I also prefer the cloth seats to the leather interiors. Sitting in that seat is like wearing a comfortable old t-shirt. The seats give plenty of lumbar support for me and feel as if they were tailor made for my tall frame. All in all, there is nothing cheap about the interior. It is very comparable to my Tacoma, but a little more comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

I can't really think of a whole lot that I think that Nissan can do differently. It is a little difficult to see behind the truck while backing up, so I'll definitely be investing in a back-up camera. It is a truck, though, so that's to be expected. I think the only thing I liked more about my Tacoma was the exterior, but... that doesn't take anything away from the Frontier. I'm still super proud of this truck.