This is a Great SUV-It is NOT an E-Class!
By jcollum68 on
2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)
Leased this vehicle for my wife. I drive a BMW 550i which I much prefer. I always laugh reading other reviews on here and people complain it isn't sporty. It is an SUV, of course it is not sporty! The ride is phenominal and at 80 mph you can whisper to someone in the backseat. Great fuel economy, my wife only drives around town and gets 21 mpg! Good acceleration, just no low end torque, but come on, it is way fast enough for 99.9% of the people buying it. Fit and finish is amazing, nice materials. One year later, my wife still can't figure out the Navigation, so is it confusing or is it her (hmm). Steering is too light for my tastes. Overall, a great vehicle-it is what it is!
Favorite Features
Huge fuel tank, I think about 25 gallons, so it has great range. Great towing capacity (over 7000 lbs) which is nice for a vehicle with a V-6. Very room backseat, nice driving position, especially for my wife of 5 feet 1 inch. She tried to drive the Grand Cherokee (platform mate) and dash was too high. Very easy to get comfortable with telescoping wheel, adjustable seat belts. Tons of storage space in the interior consoles, bluetooth sound is crystal clear. Nice acceleration although need to get it up over 4000 rpm, which can scare some folks. Great fuel economy for such a heavy vehicle, power liftgate is awesome. A unique looking vehicle, at least it does not blend in.
Suggested Improvements
Whatever it is called (I believe Comand), the navigation interface is nowhere near is easy to use as my BMW idrive. Mind you, I have never taken the time to learn, but it is not intuitive in any way. Steering is far too light for my taste, no feedback which is what I think lends to the non-sporty feel. The fact that vinyl seating is standard and not leather is kind of funny on a $60K vehicle. I don't have the heart to tell my wife it is vinyl. Factory running boards are a joke--about a 1/3 of my foot can fit on them, major slipping hazard and useless (but look nice). Would be nice to have grab handles on the A-pillar for shorter people (like our old Ford Explorer). Still, I love this SUV