2000 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Consumer Review: Fun, but totally unreliable

2000 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible - Consumer Review

Fun, but totally unreliable
By clkcabriolet on

2000 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Convertible

I bought my car for a weekend convertible from the original owner who used it the same way. It has always been kept in an environmentally controlled garage and dealer maintained in its 41,000 miles .
It is good looking, drives well and lots of fun.... when it works.

I've owned 60s Alfa Romeos and Ferraris, but none that broke or needed constant servicing like this Mercedes. The transmission module, convertible top computer module, trunk lock, radio, oxygen sensor and dashboard have all died. Did I mention the constant fault lights on the dash? Mercedes says this is typical. I love mine and my wife's Acuras. Each has twice the mileage of the Mercedes and they NEVER break. The ultimate luxury is dependability. If I wanted a beautiful but poor quality car I would have bought a Jaguar.

44000 mile update. I had to replace the A/C compressor and the plastic slot in the dash where I put my sunglasses has cracked in multiple places. The rubber stops for the trunk lid are disintegrating. Rust has showed up on the bottom of the passenger door around the rubber seal, which is really strange since the only time the car gets wet is when I wash it. Two hydraulic valves for the convertible top leaked fluid inside the car and had to be replaced as well as the stainless cables that hold tension on the top. I was advised it is normal for these to fail. Wow, more built in obsolescence.

To be fair, the car has never left me on the side of the road, but that's the nicest thing I can say about the reliability.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review