Used 2002 Mazda Tribute Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mazda Tribute

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Cd sound problems?
By canuck

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Tribute, but after reading the other reviews I'm a tad worried about brakes, rotors etc. However, my only problem has been a strange noise in the cd player...I've had it replaced once but the new one has it as well. Has anyone else experienced problems with the CD player? Or is it just me? Canuck

Favorite Features

Styling, vision, power, size.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of squeaky noises, window noises... cd noises...

2002 LX Tribute
By kcowan

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great vehicle. The only problems we have experienced have been with a sensor on the airbag system.

Favorite Features

Power

Suggested Improvements

air bag sensor

Problems Starting Vehicle
By Stranded & Mad

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle won't start. It takes about 4 tries before the car finally starts. This has happened countless times. The service person can't find the problem. Previously had the stalling problem twice. Had the door molding start coming down. Headlight has condensation in it. Hear squeking noise on the passenger door panel. Accelerator gets stuck & suddenly accelerates. To much brake dust.

Favorite Features

Passenger space, storage space, cd stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

RECALL this car. Someone is going to die.

It's a Ford, people.
By rjpaxton

2002 Mazda Tribute DX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased the 2WD DX model instead of a small pickup, and were pretty happy with it for a few months. It looks great from the outside, and the interior design is well-thought out and easy to work with. It's slooooow, though I'm sure the V6 is zippier. Decent handling once you put good tires on it. Problems with: stereo, driver's side window, rear hatch window, failed wheel bearing, clutch pedal squeak, clutch chatter. Quality wholly unacceptable.

Favorite Features

Good cargo capacity, especially well-done fold-down rear seat. Great set of features on the lower-level DX trim. Very good A/C and heater.

Suggested Improvements

Quality control. A stronger 4 (I understand the 2005 model has 15 more hp). Did I mention quality control?

Great Value
By Crockins

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I guess you would call this a 30,000 mile report. I am very pleased with my purchase of my 2002 Mazda Tribute. I have used it for long trips, camping, skiing and have not had one problem with it. All I have done is the routine maintenance. The only annoying little thing is the rear window creaks when going over bumps in the road. When I take it in for service next time I will have them check it out. Other then that I have been very pleased with it.

Favorite Features

The looks, its an SUV without looking like a truck. I like to say it's an SUV with sports sedan looks.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy. I am getting 19-21 consistenly but would like it in the mid 25's. Also, better quality tires, I am getting alot of road noise.