2002 Mazda Tribute DX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2002 Tribute Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Sort Reviews by

Oh, Gee, It stalled?
By UnHappy3

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our Tribute was in the Dealer's shop for 63 days to repair the stalling problem. I was assured by Mazda H.Q. in Irvine, CA that the Tribute was fixed and there has not been any reoccurrences of Tributes that have had this repair done. Less than a month later my wife and child were again driving in the Tribute when it stalled exactly as it had done before the repair. In my opinion someone is going to die in one of these cars.

Suggested Improvements

Notify Tribute owners of the potential stalling problem and have each of the cars checked out. (As soon as you really do figure out the fix. In my opinion you have not yet fixed the problem.

02 tribute review
By jhouse

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

seats are very unconfortable on long road trips and the interior looks cheap

Favorite Features

The performance is very good and cargo area is big but not to big

Suggested Improvements

Make interior changes to Seats and to dash. only chrome on the door handles looks cheap.

Fun to drive
By pakuf

2002 Mazda Tribute DX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven this car everyday to work and I have had no problems with it. Great acceleration, sound system. good gas millage. Comfortable ride. it is a little loud but the 201 horses can be blamed for that, it is a great SUV. I recommend it.

Favorite Features

V6 power, roomy interior

Suggested Improvements

change the gear shift to the floor.

Very satisfied after 1st year
By AllieB

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really have liked my Mazda Tribute. I went for all the bells and whistles and glad it did. The exterior design is fabulous, and the interior is very functional with lots of room for 4-5 people. The vehicle size is perfect for anyone who wants an SUV with power, but doesn't want those huge Suburban- type cars. Rides smoothly like a car. At 9,000 miles my car stalled at 40 mph, but I had it serviced and they have reprogrammed my onboard computer due to a communication issue with a celltower. I have had no further problems with the vehicle. Customer service at the dealership has been great.

Favorite Features

Love the cargo space, vehicle height getting in/out of car, exterior design, in-dash CD changer, great leg room in back seat, thick rubber floor mats are terrific for managing dirt and snow. Handles nimbly and easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Move the gear shift! Need More cargo- space cubbies in rear. Seats even with lumbar support are too stiff for long rides. Better gas mileage! Wish vent had option for turning off outside air when needed. Too much road noise. Cargo net is worthless.

The potential is there...
By Hopeful in FL

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I fell in love with the design and drive of this vehicle from the first time I saw it and had to have one. You get a lot of features for the relatively low price tag. However, 6 months after we bought, my Tribute, too, stalled on me--in the center lane of the interstate at 60 mph during rush hour. Luckily it started right back up after I got to the shoulder and turned it off. The dealer was great; found the problem right away and fixed it. Mazda is aware of the faulty computer chip (which my dealer reset) and I, too, can't believe they haven't issued a recall. The potential to love this vehicle is definitely there, but I am still skeptical...

Favorite Features

Size, maneuverablilty, in-dash CD changer, visibility, handling, cargo room, smooth ride, overall feeling of safety (sans the stalling episode/potential reoccurrence)

Suggested Improvements

MOVE THAT GEAR SHIFT!! Take-off from idle is too sluggish. Leather is not holding up well. Plastic "bolts" are already coming loose (floor board).

great mini-suv
By James W

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second experience with purchasing a new car. The only bad experience I have had from beginning to the present is a pushy salesman from another Mazda company. We went elsewhere, found a nice and easy going guy and love our vehicle. It was well worth the money and besides average gas mileage, my wife and I plan on keeping this car as long as it runs.

Favorite Features

Power seats, premium sound package, 200-hp engine, 16-inch wheels, 6 in- dash cd player

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage, power pedals, rear a/c vents, storage for back seat head- rests

Tribute a good buy, fun to drive
By freedjeff

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have had it for 4 months and no problems. Comfortable and truly fun to drive, looking forward to the winter in it. Would recommend to all.

tribute lx 4wd 6 cylinder
By curly

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We owned this vehicle for a little over one year. Initially we were impressed with the size, acceleration, and utility of this vehicle. However, certain annoyances became much more noticeable the longer we drove it. It is NOISY. I repeat NOISY. Rear lift developed a loud rattle which has proven elusive to correct. Cigarette lighter broke after one week. The steering is very heavy at low speeds. The seats are very firm and uncomfortable on long trips. Fuel economy is poor. Brake dust!!! Brake dust all the time on the front wheels. The longer your in this vehicle the more annoying it becomes. Beware future buyers, this is a FORD with mazda badging.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, sound system, size.

Suggested Improvements

Quiet the wind and road noise. Improve the seats and ride. Improve the quality.

holding my breath....
By jp2spidey

2002 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

bought 2/2002. been in the shop 3 times as of 9/12/02. 2x for stalling problem. 1x for headlight switch not working. (relay problem i was told). headlights not coming on at night is a "bit" of a problem.the dealership has been great, no question about that. i even believe that mazda has not been very forthcoming with them. still,having to keep returning to the dealer on a new car is not very encouraging at all.now we must drive with a constant "readiness" to take the gear shift and quickly move it back into neutral to restart the car while moving.who wants to drive with that kind of pressure??we are considering the lemon law as of this moment.

Favorite Features

handles fine, fairly comfortable ride. this had the potential to be a great car,but the dangerous situations with the stalling is not worth it.mazda knows of this situation and seems to be unconcerned of the life threatening possibilities

Suggested Improvements

int.lites should have been near dash, because reaching in the dark for buttons on the ceiling is stupid.i have heard from reliable sources that a recall may be imminent but mazda is waiting to see if the "fix" for the stalling works.

Best Deal on a SUV
By JCB

2002 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our Tribute almost a year a go. 16000+ miles, 3 cross country trips and we are still loving it. Fuel economy has improved ...we are averaging 20 mpg in Atlanta traffic! on the highway we managed 25mpg. Not bad considering the great power and comfort. We seriously considered the Toyota Highlander and the Range Rover Freelander, but Tribute wins... power, price, space, ride and for far less than the others.

Favorite Features

In-dash CD changer, low loading height, split rear gate, hidden spare (believe me this makes a big difference) less costly if you are rear ended.

Suggested Improvements

As of 9/2002, all the common complaints of 2001 and earlier 2002 have been fixed. The shifter the defrost button, power seat. The only thing is fix the rattle from the luggage area cover!