Used 2005 Mazda MPV Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

a few years in
By tbg

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought our MPV ES in Oct 2008 with 46,000 on it. It currently has about 114,000 on it and doesn't seem to be much different from when we bought it. To date, it has required relatively infrequent and minor fixes: a minor ($300) fuel thing (forgotten what precisely) at 90k, a small water pump leak at 108k.

Above avg handling for a minivan, and small size for vehicle with these capabilities.

Mazda did a great job of redesigning this in 2007 (I've seen them when I travel to Asia) but decided not to import it. A real shame. Bring it back and call it a Mazda7.

nice car so far
By topcatken

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this a few months ago with 53,000 miles on it. Except for a vacuum hose which was expensive, it is serving us well. The vehicle is easy to handle because it is smaller but easy to adjust for different uses. Rear seat folds down into floor or you can flip it back for tailgating. Has a/c vents front and rear, seats 7 and is easy getting in and out. Have driven it back and forth across west Texas twice now and did what I asked it to do.

sliding door windows go up and down. Rear seat folds into floor.

Rust Problems
By mazda owner

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I decided to sell my MPV just 5 years after I bought it because it was rusting so badly at the base of both the passenger and driver doors as well as on all 4 wheel wells. In this day and age you don't expect a vehicle to rust before it's even 10 years old and this car began rusting when it was just 3 years old. When I brought the problem up to Mazda they were only willing to go by the book: The rust warranty only kicks in when the rust has perforated the metal. Well it's perforated now--now that the warranty has expired. Between fixing the rust and some other scheduled maintenance I was going to be spending more on the car than it was worth. So I cut my losses and sold the car.

Used Car Purchase
By Family of 4

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I noticed most of these reviews are older and mostly new car purchases. Reviews have nonetheless been very helpful in our decision. Like most family van purchasers, we compared with used Sienna's and Odyssey's. In the end, the MPV was such a better value as they seem to depreciate at a faster rate. My wife it the primary driver for this car, so the smaller exterior size was easier for her to drive. Handling is substantially better as it is shorter and narrower. Parking and general driving was much easier. Of course with better handling comes at a cost, because you need to sacrifice interior space. As a family 4, this was not a factor at all, so this was by far the best fit.

Handling, Third row that hides in the floor, Best visibility in class.

Mazda dealerships still have a long way to go compared with Honda. Customer service and sales tactics are very old school. Mazda, bring back the MPV. we love it!

Sauna in the Summer
By Mom Parker

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the MPV when we were expecting our first child. We were very pleased at first until we realized that the van was not equipped with rear air vents. There are four vents for the entire van. The summers in the south are brutal. We can no longer make our children endure the heat with no air vents. Needless to say we are now in the process of finding a new vehicle. Aside from that we are pleased. The only other complaint is the driver side window motor had to be replaced. We have put 36,400 miles on it and it still is going strong.

Sporty look.

Vents throughout the van. My kids are sweaty by the time we reach our destination.