2003 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
ZOOM ZOOM I LOVE MY MZ6
By JOHN GOODMAN on 06/22/05 13:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this car after 5 wonderful years in a Miata. I was shocked at how well it performed. My wife started to drive it infrequently, but loved it, so she took it away from me. I went back to the dealership and leased one for me -- a 5 speed straight geared one. I love it too.

Best Car!
By Cathy on 06/14/05 13:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Love this car. Fun to drive, very comfortable, roomy back seat, HUGE cargo capacity with rear seats folded down. Best car I've ever owned!

A "Sporty" sedan, not a Sports Sedan
By damon on 06/12/05 03:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am a "driver" who was fed up driving a turbo lagged 9-3 (1999) in traffic without a decent cupholder. Gave up the manual and purchased a 2003 6 v6 with an automatic. The modern looks inside and out sold me - I wouldn't consider an Accord, etc. because of how common they are. I think this should be on the list for anyone looking at sedans but people who highly value sports handling should consider something else. This car is a very comfortable daily driver with everything at your fingertips. The engine is a blast in the mid-range but with the automatic the low end is abysmal. Don't expect quick shifts with the automanual - it's better just to hold gears in turns. Handling is sloppy at higher speeds.

I'll never buy another Mazda
By cs on 05/22/05 23:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for 1 1/2 yrs. and have brought it back to the dealer too many times to count for recalls, cd player replacements (3) and many other problems including vibrations, bad shifting, etc. Am bringing it back this week due to a throttle positioning problem/check engine light. Mazda is NOT customer friendly when it comes to repairs! They tend to blame the customer for any problems - they "can't locate" the problems, although local mechanics can. I have even tried to file a lemon law claim to no avail.

Hot Sedan
By Coral on 02/18/05 11:27 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Outstanding sedan; excellent pick-up and hot on the pedal. Sweet spot around 3500-4000 RPM. Nice interior and good amenities. Aftermarket stereo is not an option due to panel design (only drawback). Comfortable ride and fun to drive. Very reliable and solid automobile. Highly recommend this vehicle if you're looking for a sport sedan - many model variations to choose from.

Love my Mazda6
By Jennifer on 01/27/05 16:27 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I just got this bright yellow car and already I'm loving every bit of it.

My Mazda experience.
By My Mazda6 on 01/20/05 21:00 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, love the way it looks. But.... all of the rotors were warped at 11,000 miles. Dealer turned them but now it squeals when the brakes are applied. (No, I don't beat on it!) Not happy with the auto climate control in the summer. You have to put it on 78 or else the fan runs on high speed all of the time! The automatic transmission sometimes seems to clunk into gear. Not always, so it won't be easy to find out why, as I'm sure it wouldn't do it when it's in for service. Transmission also has a gear whine. Great dealer experience.

good looks, many problems
By raslov on 01/12/05 23:49 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was drawn to the Mazda 6s because of the exterior styling and price, but after only a few months of owning noticed really bad front wheel brake dust followed by a bad sulfur smell coming of the engine; then noticed the colling fan was really loud. Most recently my right front speaker blew out and just this week my check engine light came on. Needless to say I've been spending a lot of time at the dealership and they're starting to be less sympathetic. I stuck with Mazda after owning a Mazda Protege for the last 7 years without any problems but this will be my last!

hate this car
By cindy on 01/09/05 00:06 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Have had far too may problems for a new car. Have been to dealer at least 10-12 times for defects, only to be told there aren't any - none have been fixed. Dealership not very cooperative, they have a tendency to blame to consumer. My 5 speed does not shift properly - a lot of grinding and jerking, which the dealer blamed on my inability to downshift properly. I have driven 5 speed for 21 years - I've got it down. The CD player skips even when driving over a stone. It was allegedly replaced - am taking to another dealer to have it "replaced" once again. Had several recalls, which I was only made aware of because I called Mazda headquarters. All in all, wish I never bought it.

Mazda 6S
By Snowdy on 01/07/05 23:38 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my MAZDA 6 in May 2003. To date I have 52,000 miles on it. This car looks great but is one of the most undependable new vehicles that I have ever owned (of 17). This car has been towed in 4 times, 2 times for the "knock sensor". The battery blew up, the transmission locked up and now the master cylinder has gone out on it. These are in addition to the 5 times that the "check engine" light has come on and they can't tell you why. This car will break me before it is over, even though I started with several thousand dollars equity, I am now in several thousand dollars negative equity. Learn the lesson from me, NEVER buy the first year of a new model.Terrible resell value!