Used 2003 Mazda Mazda6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Bad Choice
By Tamhicks10

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After a lot of research, I was dead set on purchasing a 2003 Mazda 6S. I found my dream car, fully loaded and after 6 months, had nothing but problems with it. I am the second owner and it had a clean record. I take care of my cars. My Mazda has blown spark plugs (now has helicoils) and at 59,000 miles, my transmission has just gone out. There was no warning. So now I am looking at a $2K-$3K repair. I love the look and feel of the ride so I always repaired and kept the car. I now want it gone. I would not recommend this car to anyone. Go with something reliable..Honda or Toyota.

Favorite Features

Exterior look, inside is comfortable. Bose sound sounds great, lotsa of bells and whistles.

Suggested Improvements

Needs to be a more durable, reliable car overall. To many major problems for a low mile vehicle.

All in all, a great car
By kyjd75

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car shortly after it was introduced in its first model year. I expected some problems, and I was not disappointed. However, Mazda USA took care of all of them at no cost to me. The car has since proven to be a reliable performer with great handling, smooth ride, and good looks. Its fuel economy is only fair, and the road noise at speed is noticeable, but the car drives so well, you don't mind. With Michelin tires, it is smooth as silk, and is extremely stable at triple digit speeds. It is definitely a drivers car. We have the leather interior, and it is holding up well. If handling and overall good driving experience is important to you, then this is a car to consider.

Favorite Features

Great handling! The closest feel to a BMW of any car I've driver other than a BMW. Nice interior, heated seats, strong brakes.

Suggested Improvements

More horse power. The engine is not up to the handling. Maybe a little less road noise at high speeds.

Poor reliability and durability
By ahmed

2003 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had Mazda 6 and it was doing well till it hit the 50 k mark and then it became a problem. Once it had 65K and it became beyond repair. If you are looking for a durable car for sure this is not for you.

Favorite Features

good looking car and nice design. powerful engine and good acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

need to improve reliability and improve their customer service. It is not good when you buy a car and by 65k it is dead.

Disappointed in Ohio
By bigmama4

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

When I first bought my brand new Mazda 6 in 2003 I kept getting a burning smell in the car. The Mazda mechanic told me the smell would go away after 3 -5 thousand miles. He said it was something to do with the exhaust pipes. I can not remember how many times my brakes had to be changed and also just a month before my warranty expired I had to get rust fixed around my back wheel well. Of course they gave me a hard time but they fixed it twice because the first time looked terrible , I could have done better. Needless to say the rust came back with a fury it looks terrible,at least it is only in that one spot (strangely). Also the light cover on my front passenger door never stays on .

Favorite Features

The car is fun to drive I like the way it handles!

The best I have ever had
By webster6

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned 13 cars and this is by far the best car I have ever owned. I purchased it last year with 200,000 miles on it as a temporary car. However, I fell in love with my 03 Mazda 6 s. It handles great and I have put 36,000 miles on it myself. I have driven it on family vacations because it's comfortable and reliable. When the battery started to go bad, it never left me anywhere. It made sure I made it to the auto parts store and now it's just like new. People seem to complain if they get a lemon. That is a possibility with any car you buy. If I had to take a cross country trip tomorrow best believe I would hop in my 6 and zoom zoom with no hesitation.

Favorite Features

The get up and go, heated seats and the awesome BOSE stereo system. My wife and I both prefer to drive this car over our others because it is so comfortable and has power that no other 6 cylinder can compete with. Even my Pontiac Grand am GT is no match for my Mazda.

Suggested Improvements

Little more leg room in the back would be great. Not ideal for people over 5'9 at all. It's a good thing when that's all I have to complain about.