Used 2003 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Mazda 6s - great value
By DH800

2003 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my Mazda 6s for a couple of months and I love it! Value is first rate: leather seats, powerful V6 engine, and beautiful design at a very affordable price. The 220-hp lets me run with most cars on the road while it doesn't kill me at the pump (although mpg could be better). And when I wax my car, I still catch myself staring at it; love the exterior design. The only thing you have to do to this car is open up the mufflers, add an intake and you have a legitimate, stylish contender that stands out from the economy-car pack. I cannot attest to the reliability yet, however, but I think these cars have done well considering '03 was the first production year.

Aggresive and stylish exterior (from the LED spoiler-mounted brake lights to the in-lens fog lamps), 220-hp 3.0 V6, electric blue paint, heated leather seats, amazingly spacious trunk, driver-oriented cabin design, very smooth cruise control

Gas mileage could be better, green lights in instrument panel when driving lights are on can be annoying, wish there was an aux input, sunroof should be a little bigger

Wolf in sheeps clothes
By ex mazda fan

2003 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased the vehicle in July of '06 with just over 18,000 miles and was as happy as could be for the first year or so. The second year on the other hand was not so good, I felt as tho I was taking the car in once a month for something different it started with a squeaky driver seat then some recalls then some weird clunks then a defective starter and several other things. Once everything was fixed things were okay until the car reached 58,000 miles and decided that it would be a good time to blow up! According to the mechanics the piston rod snapped and blew two holes in the block. The worst part is I was doing about seventy on the freeway not even accelerating. $9000 later the car is running ok

The interior is great, nice euro style gauges and steering wheel controls are great and the center console is spacious and perfect for an iPod. The body is very good looking with lots of aftermarket modification options.

My suggestion is to make a stronger motor.

Keeps on pushing
By musick man

2003 Mazda 6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I got my 2003 Mazda 6 i in September 2006. The only problems that I had were a dead battery (I used to leave the lights on), and my rack and pinion steering system which was replaced by the dealer covered by the factory warranty. Other than that the car is great. the low end torque could be better but the handling is awesome at all speeds. Love the ground clearance, I take it fishing and it has no problems with climbing steep embankments. Took it to Arkansas from Louisiana on a single tank of gas with four passengers and luggage, rode smoothly but is no Lincoln. The leather seats are very comfortable, radio is loud, and it looks great. Now has 76k still runs strong.

Leather seats, moon roof, handling, steering wheel controls, cd player, aux power outlet, manualmatic transmission, alloy wheels.

Better low end torque, ABS should be standard on all models, quieter engine or lower rpm at higher speeds.

The bad side
By BERNARDO MARTINEZ

2003 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After five years I have had many problems with my car i.e., headliner at rear window coming off on both sides, driver side visor broke, stereo has problems push CD changer and the A/M radio comes on, push change song on CD and CD ejects, lots of strange thing like that. The biggest problem is the transmission shifts really really hard like it slams into gear. Took it to a dealer they told me not a thing is wrong with it. One more thing the fan has a recall because it stays on long after car is off.

The way it looks

Transmission, better quality interior

All in all, a great car
By kyjd75

2003 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car shortly after it was introduced in its first model year. I expected some problems, and I was not disappointed. However, Mazda USA took care of all of them at no cost to me. The car has since proven to be a reliable performer with great handling, smooth ride, and good looks. Its fuel economy is only fair, and the road noise at speed is noticeable, but the car drives so well, you don't mind. With Michelin tires, it is smooth as silk, and is extremely stable at triple digit speeds. It is definitely a drivers car. We have the leather interior, and it is holding up well. If handling and overall good driving experience is important to you, then this is a car to consider.

Great handling! The closest feel to a BMW of any car I've driver other than a BMW. Nice interior, heated seats, strong brakes.

More horse power. The engine is not up to the handling. Maybe a little less road noise at high speeds.