Great...for the first two years
By fzyltlsquirrel on
2010 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I was in love with this car. Frankly, in many ways I still am. I have the standard tranny and love the handling. The car really is fun to drive. Except when the gear synchro does not function properly from first to second. I drive 300+ miles a week, and have since I got the car. We live in northern CA and go snowboarding and backpacking often, so this car gets driven a lot. Even so, it is only 2 1/2 years old, and the tranny is clearly going bad. The worst part is that it is an intermittent problem that the dealer has yet to duplicate. I have 5,000 miles left on my warranty so, sadly, I'm trading her in for a CX 5 - which doesn't come with as many features on the manual. Disappointing
Favorite Features
Everything but the transmission!
Suggested Improvements
Learn how to build a transmission that doesn't fail at 50k. My car isn't the only one with this problem. It isn't as common on the Mazda3, I've seen it more on the Mazda6, but either way it is ridiculous that a transmission would go bad 2 1/2 years into the car's life and with only 55k on the car.
By diehard080
on 10/12/12 10:09 AM (PDT)

Dont buy a manual the CVT transmission is far far better all around anyway .If you were buying a ferrari ok but get real you are buying a car to drive on the streets of No-Cal where I live and the average speed is 18 mph ---get over the stick fixation and get with the reliable technology thats where the better gas mileage is also . Trust me I switched to Auto on my 2010 Maz-3 and never looked back its geared higher with the stroked and bored 2.5 so it revs lower at hwy speeds --love it and in traffic even better just go to sport manual and hold it in 2nd or 3rd til traffic opens up the wham back in D and gone .