2006 Mazda 3 Consumer Review: Great mix of performance and e

2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback - Consumer Review

Great mix of performance and economy
By monster289 on

2006 Mazda 3 s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Had my car for three weeks now, 1300 miles logged. I have the hatchback with 5 speed manual. Got the s Touring model, but decided to save some money and not get options. Car is plenty quick, especially for a 4 cylinder. I'm getting about 30mpg mixed city/freeway driving. It has enough power to go up steep hills on the freeway while still in 5th gear. I think they could have made 5th gear a bit taller to reduce rpm's, but that's ok. Maybe having more power readily available is better than marginally better mileage. Steering wheel controls are awesome, and they are backlit at night. Ride is sporty and firm, very little body roll. May be a bit rough for some.

Favorite Features

Great shifter, power, sports car handling, steering wheel controls, pollen filter, looks and styling. Tons of standard features (power everything, 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS). Nice touches like interior lights that gradually fade on and off, small light above ashtray, and keyless entry.

Suggested Improvements

Footwell is kinda cramped for my size 13 shoes, rear seating is a little tight, need something to hang the gas cap on while filling up so it doesn't scratch the paint, standard MP3 hookup would be nice.