Used 2012 Kia Sedona Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Sedona - Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Sedona

View reviews for a specific Sedona model:

car good, factory? sleazy option packages
By buzzk

2012 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

we drove several of these til the dealer came up with the colors my wife wanted; on a blustery crosswind day, we compared Sedona to the 4 & 6 cylinder Siennas & the Oddysy in a 6+ mile run on I-70 & a winding, hilly no-shoulder 2-lane. the Sedona & Toyotas were very good & close, the Honda conspicuously less controllable in the twistys & harder to keep in a straight line in freeway crosswinds. We now have 20k on the car & changed to a decent tire-Cooper CS4 at 15k. Drives beautifully. OTOH the autolock/unlock is an idiotic security nightmare, hoodlums will love it, you are a sitting duck when you park

Favorite Features

performance & handling, easy drivability, gas milage at highway cruise [not around town] excellent visibility in all directions. does NOT need an idiotic styling "upgrade" that pinches the back window rear quarter view & is less safe & harder to drive in traffic. You can actually SEE out of this vehicle, delightful! we plan to keep it but try to be VERY careful to over-ride auto-unlock when parking & starting it

Suggested Improvements

an ethical choice of option packages so you don't have to buy thousands of dollars of [for me] junk to get an important operational safety feature like heated outside mirrors. get rid of dangerous insecure autolock/unlock feature. Also fix sliding doors that won't lock open if window down a little - dangerous for kids [or my!] fingers

Good Mini Van
By prodriver82

2012 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I'm not a soccer mom writing this review. After reading reviews for several mini van makers, and having a friend who just retired a Kia Rio with 346,200 miles on it, that swayed me to the Kia Sedona. Yea, its not a Honda or a Toyota. But it is a surprisingly great family ride. I'm only sorry that Kia has decided to make 2012 the final year for production for the Sedona.

Favorite Features

Fairly comfortable seating, good cargo room (rear seats fold into the floor, middle captains chairs do not but do flip forward) Good handling, decent gas millage (Averaging 20 City/26 Highway on regular gas) Plenty of convince features. and Kia's 5 year/60,000 mile basic & 10 year/100,000 limited power train warranty.

Great buy
By dcbrown

2012 Kia Sedona EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

As a 71 year old I never thought that I would own a mini-van. But three grandchildren under 4 and a 96 year old mother-in-law changed all that. So I went shopping in late '11 dead set on getting an Oddysey. Reality set in quickly as price and an unwillingness of four Honda dealerships to deal eliminated that choice. And lucky that was for I had a blast shopping around - something I had not needed to do for my previous five cars. My final choice was an easy one spurred by a great deal, friendly dealership, and fully loaded Kia Sedona at about 12k less than the desired Oddysey. It is now ten months and almost 20k miles into the vehicle and I love it.

Favorite Features

Smoothe riding and ease of driving unsurpassed in any previous vehicle of the many I have owned or leased, the Sedona makes the 70 percent interstate and turnpike driving that I do a breeze. Gas mileage is as advertised ... 19 in town and 23-24 on the road. I have not had a Sirius radio before but never will be without it again finances permitting.

Suggested Improvements

The only constructive criticism I have is the failure of the two second row seats to fold up effectively for increased cargo space and ease of buckling grandchildren into car seats. Rather than dissapear beneathe the floor like the Town and Country, or lock into place tight against the front seats, a strap is required to hold them forward hooked into the seat belt holder in the front. Real lousy design and frankly, with grandchildren to strap into car seats in the third row and all, would have been a deal breaker for me if I had been an experienced van owner.

Don't buy this car unless you are sure!!!!!
By abeinoregon

2012 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The quality of this car is much worse than I expected. Seat material is thin, electronics unresponsive and unpredictable and the brakes are a safety hazard Kia will not own up to. They allow small pebbles from the road to get into the calipers and impede proper braking application. They call this an environmental situation and will not address it as a design flaw. The dealer won't fix it on his dime either. I have only 1800 miles on the car and it has been in twice for repairs. I live on a paved road! I can't afford to keep paying for brake repairs. Be ready for some disappointments if you buy this car and have previously owned a quality built vehicle,

Favorite Features

Bluetooth

Suggested Improvements

Fix the brakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make the seats out of something other than cheese cloth.

2012 Sedona
By 2012sedona

2012 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We traded our 2011 Soul for this Sedona. The soul was a great little car but it was difficult for us to get in and out especially with artificial knees. We absolutely love our Sedona, we have the power package on it which gives you a lot of extras. We average round about driving 23-24 mpg. Not as good as the soul but it sure is a lot easier to get in and out of. The engine is very powerful and will throw you in the back seat if you kick the gas. It has a six speed transmission and we don't even feel it shift. At seventy mph it runs around 1600-1700 rpms. That in itself saves the engine greatly over times. With GM, and Ford quit making vans you only have a very few choices. Love it.

Suggested Improvements

If there was anything I would like to see improvements it would be better gas mileage and a set of Michelin tires.