Used 2006 Jeep Commander Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

2006 Jeep Commander

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Love this vehicle but not happy with it.
By cviz

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2006 Jeep Commander in September of 2005. I have about 87,000 miles on it and keep up the maintenance. My power outlets in the front have stopped working even after I changed out the fuses, I have paid $3500 to replace the rear differential, replaced the battery three times, replaced the alternator, passenger window won't close right, water leaks in from the front and all four of my door handles have cracked and broke. Chrysler and the dealership both say it's wear and tear even though I rotate driving between this vehicle and my 2009 Kia Borrego. I have had two other Jeeps and have never had problems like this. I would have to pay $700 per door to fix them.

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler needs to look at the materials they use to build these vehicles, not everything is wear and tear. I hope it doesn't take someone getting hurt due to faulty materials before they fix these issues.

Another Great Jeep
By dylanc

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I recently purchased my 2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4.7L 4x4 and love it. In addition to the Commander I have a 97 Cherokee with 230k miles! I bought the Commander with 90k, about to hit 100k. I have had primarily good luck with it. I chose the 4.7 because it is one of Jeeps fantastic motors. I would not recommend the 3.7L. Things to look out for: door handles crack and can fall into door panels (Chrysler plastics). The starter will go out, so you have to expect that. I replaced the sway bar bushings because they were starting to make noice, but it wasn't a required repair. I have been told that he 4.7L's will last forever, if you keep up with oil changes. I love the 4x4 too!

Favorite Features

The 4x4 is great in snow, sand, mud. I've taken mine through all of that with no issues. Be careful though, even the trail rated Commanders don't have skid plates. Features: I love everything the Limited has to offer. Automatic wipers, high beams, and seats. For a $14,000 vehicle, this thing drives and makes me feel like I'm riding in a brand new BMW. The Looks: I chose this over the Grand Cherokee, which is basically the same vehicle, because of the boxy looks. Reminds me of the older Cherokees

Suggested Improvements

The transmission feels like the engine lacks power. Seems to struggle to find the right gear when under hard acceleration. Interior plastics are okay, could be better. For an 8 year old vehicle I still have people get in my car and ask if it is a 2013. Keep leather conditioned. Qwerky electronic stuff, typical Jeep. Gas millage is worse then some of my friends full sized trucks

Be careful of this year model
By gladejd

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this model brand new in 2005. It was the first year that Jeep released the Commander, using the 4.7 V8 engine. As you know most jeeps use the 3.7L V6 engine, which is dependable. However, this car, we had it overheat once, and it blew the head gasket. On top of that, the engine block cracked. This is after one overheat mind you. The car is too expensive for me to fix, so I will end up selling the car as a parts motherlode. Too bad we paid a lot of money for this car. I can't say about the later models, but I learned a valuable lesson regarding any car. When a car model comes out for the first year, recommend not buying it and wait till the following year or two.

Favorite Features

The interior is nice, and the jeep itself was fun to drive. The sunroof was a plus as well.

Suggested Improvements

Better engine design, better parts used in the engine. Also, with ours we had an issue with electronics, and the radio stopped working. The car was only at 55,000 or so miles when the engine block cracked. Such a tragedy.

2006 Jeep Commander Hemi Problem
By pcjeepowner

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Since buying the 2006 Jeep Commander in 2007 I have had to spend major money on repairs. I have had to replace the battery three times already, I have had to rebuild the transmission, and now worst of all I have to replace the whole engine that is going to cost me $6,000. I have around 75,000 miles and this was the most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased and I am so upset and I don't know where to turn.

Favorite Features

I love the look of the interior and the exterior and I love all the bells and whistles. Great stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Make an engine that will last.

Great Jeep
By Ken H

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This Jeep rocks! It handles the rough roads in and around New Orleans as easily as smooth Interstates. Comfy interior, quality design and materials, great fit and finish, smooth quiet ride and V8 Hemi power with a classic Jeep look. Too many features to praise including the auto a/c, which took a bit to understand, but now absolutely love it! The regular gas does help mitigate the v8's thirst, but the Jeep is so fun to drive I don't even worry about the gas. Such a quality ride. Keep placing the design and quality of this Jeep into all of your Chrysler , Dodge and Jeep products and I think you'll have no problems selling vehicles.

Favorite Features

Auto A/C, classic Jeep styling, Hemi V8, driving experience, ride and handling. MAterials quality, comfy seats, great seat warmers, Satellite radio, easy Nav screen, headroom and excellent visibility!

Suggested Improvements

Get a little better mpg if you can, but there isn't anything I can think to improve in this Jeep.