Used 2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Gorgeous car; ugly repairs.
By indiansummer

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Bought this car in January of 2011 with 13k miles on it. Always wanted this model. I knew what I was getting myself into but was stubbornly optimistic. I wanted to believe Jag had improved their reliability over the years but was quickly disappointed. The performance is beyond reproach and I admit I am now spoiled with its power and plush interior. But by 20K, one of the shocks blew. By 30k, the air suspension compressor died. By 40k, another shock blew. By 45k, the car died mid-ride (thank God I wasn't on the freeway). The dreaded "engine systems fault" light illuminated. Dealer couldn't figure out the problem and it magically cured itself; promptly traded it for reliable Lexus.

Exceptional engine performance and plush interior.

Get rid of the air suspension or make it more reliable. A complete air suspension fail at 40k miles is unacceptable.

Great Vehicle
By litty1

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased this in 2009 with 37,000 miles. It now has 138,000 miles and runs and feels just like I remember it performing when I purchased it. I have had to invest a minimum amount of money in the maintenance and repair to keep it running great

A Gem
By orjohn

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned my XJ8 2004 for 3 years and I still love every time I drive this car. It is truley a wonderful design and very well built and for me has been one light bulb reliable. I may get another one for my family, its that good. Price is almost too good to comprehend. The aluminum chassis and body makes it great on gas with 28-30 on the highway. For a V8 - really? - yes it is true. A gem of a car, now almost 10 years new...

Gas mileage, build quality, smooooooth ride, power when you need it. Leather smell still there after 10 years. Handling, oh so pleasing for a sedan.

No MP3 or USB connection. Crummy radio and message reporting LED panel, No triptonic gear change capability.

sexy lady
By ferious

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJR 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

well well i have driven many bmw mb lexuses and infiniti and i have now owned this xjr for 3 mths and i must say without a doubt this is truly one of the best vehicles i have driven.i think my fellow jag lovers we should really keep this one as our secret weapon,few cars can really hang with it.

exterior curves ,instant acceleration,comfort and stares of envy from other so called luxury car owners.

My 7th Jaguar
By ruyg7

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have never owned more than three of any brand in succesion, but my Jaguars have been an exception. My current 2004 XJ 8 was purchased with 73000 miles 18 months ago, it now has 114000 miles on the odometer It is the MOST dependable used car i have ever owned, except for my new Dodge trucks. This Jaguar routinely gets 28-30 mpg at highway speeds, and 20 mpg in city driving. It has been a dream to own, and has never let me down. The car is dead reliable, a pleasure to drive , and very quick. The interior is very plush, and is resistant to wear and tear. Dont believe the nay sayers about Jaguar reliability, I have owned BMW's and Mercedes cars that were a lot more problamatic than my Jaguars.

The silky ride is the best in the industry, the powerfull engine , no squeeks or rattles even after 114K miles. The nimble handling, and road manners. The beautiful wood and leather interior, is old world charm, rather than all the cheap plastics in the current cars.

More room for the back seat passengers, bigger trunk.