2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series - Consumer Reviews

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:
Gorgeous car; ugly repairs.
By indiansummer on 09/09/14 06:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Bought this car in January of 2011 with 13k miles on it. Always wanted this model. I knew what I was getting myself into but was stubbornly optimistic. I wanted to believe Jag had improved their reliability over the years but was quickly disappointed. The performance is beyond reproach and I admit I am now spoiled with its power and plush interior. But by 20K, one of the shocks blew. By 30k, the air suspension compressor died. By 40k, another shock blew. By 45k, the car died mid-ride (thank God I wasn't on the freeway). The dreaded "engine systems fault" light illuminated. Dealer couldn't figure out the problem and it magically cured itself; promptly traded it for reliable Lexus.

Great Vehicle
By litty1 on 07/24/14 20:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased this in 2009 with 37,000 miles. It now has 138,000 miles and runs and feels just like I remember it performing when I purchased it. I have had to invest a minimum amount of money in the maintenance and repair to keep it running great

A Gem
By orjohn on 12/06/13 23:46 PM (PST)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned my XJ8 2004 for 3 years and I still love every time I drive this car. It is truley a wonderful design and very well built and for me has been one light bulb reliable. I may get another one for my family, its that good. Price is almost too good to comprehend. The aluminum chassis and body makes it great on gas with 28-30 on the highway. For a V8 - really? - yes it is true. A gem of a car, now almost 10 years new...

sexy lady
By ferious on 07/29/13 11:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJR 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

well well i have driven many bmw mb lexuses and infiniti and i have now owned this xjr for 3 mths and i must say without a doubt this is truly one of the best vehicles i have driven.i think my fellow jag lovers we should really keep this one as our secret weapon,few cars can really hang with it.

My 7th Jaguar
By ruyg7 on 07/14/13 21:27 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have never owned more than three of any brand in succesion, but my Jaguars have been an exception. My current 2004 XJ 8 was purchased with 73000 miles 18 months ago, it now has 114000 miles on the odometer It is the MOST dependable used car i have ever owned, except for my new Dodge trucks. This Jaguar routinely gets 28-30 mpg at highway speeds, and 20 mpg in city driving. It has been a dream to own, and has never let me down. The car is dead reliable, a pleasure to drive , and very quick. The interior is very plush, and is resistant to wear and tear. Dont believe the nay sayers about Jaguar reliability, I have owned BMW's and Mercedes cars that were a lot more problamatic than my Jaguars.

1 Week Into Jaguar Ownership
By mherbst on 03/13/13 23:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

12k a 40k mile car was a steal. I purchased this car knowing something would break. You have to have that mindset for all Jaguars and plan accordingly. This car was below my budget for a used car, and I put my savings from the purchase into an account for future repairs. I'm now very glad I did. 1 week in and the sunroof is broken, air suspension has visible leaks, who knows what else. Just the parts for the sunroof are $800, rear air suspension is $1500 for one shock. If you don't mind working on a car yourself (which I don't) this is a decent buy, also for air suspension issues arnott makes better than factory suspension. 4 shocks for the price of a jag one.

Lifelong Jaguar Owner
By smayuga on 10/27/12 10:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Select Edition with 25K miles in 12/05. The car still looks and runs like new at 96K miles in 10/12. Car has been a dream, very reliable, repairs few and far between. Never been stuck due to breakdown. My 2004 is most reliable car ever. Quality of ride and handling, interior leather and paint are stunning; Comfort and Class personified. Not an all out sports car (I still have my E-Type for that) but for a sedan I've never found it wanting for speed, handling, cornering or any other "normal" performance requirement. You can pick up used ones for around $10-12K an amazing bargain. Car should not have major repair issues till closer to 200K in miles.

Wonderful/Fabulous
By skingsr on 09/25/12 03:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I've owned my 2004 xj8 since early 2009. I bought it with a little over 30,000 miles. I have approx 92, 000 miles to date and this car is a beauty. A head turner. I'm constantly getting compliments. It drives magnificently and the interior is first class. Just complete luxury at its finest. I've had a few issues mechanically, windshield wiper motor and throttle position sensor. Other than that, I am a proud jag owner and loving it

Owned since new
By bigjim13 on 05/05/12 00:33 AM (PDT)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Ok, I've owned my Jag since 2004 bought it new in Texas and drove it straight to Arizona. I've had only a few issues with the big cat in the 8 years I've had her. Electric issues with the A/C, and the cruise control. That's all! Once fixed I've had no other issues with them. My Jag has 58,375miles and is an awesome family car. My kids love the cool factor, my wife loves the way it drives and I love the safety features that it offers. I'm not a Jag man but I do love owning it. I also own a 2001 Ferrari 360, 2009 GMC Sierra and a BMW M3. I take care of my rides so they can take care of me.

Be careful with what you are expecting here
By mr_dearborn on 01/23/12 01:48 AM (PST)

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJR 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

The car is pretty to look at, has a fantastic engine, and rides like a dream. These were the things I was looking for in a car. I was hoping that Ford's $3 billion investment several years before this car would resolve reliability issues. Nope. This car had a number of advancements that didn't quite work and are expensive to fix: 1) electric parking break, 2) air suspension, 3) aluminum unibody (rust), 4) transmission leaks. I've dropped $11K on my $18K car thus far. It has 50K miles. Also, the handling isn't quite on par with the German cars; it does't love curves and corners. In short, be careful with your expectations on this one.