2010 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
TOTAL LEMON!!!
By doraimon on 10/05/11 20:53 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2010 Santa Fe V6, full option, last year. I've been having problems from the start. I noticed a violent jerk and sounded like my transmission fell off. I took it in to the dealer but they couldn't find anything wrong. My wife drives the Santa Fe, and the engine shut down on her twice. When we took it to the dealer, he gave us a rental for a week while they test drove it. Again, they didn't find anything wrong with it. Last month, when I was driving, I was making a left turn and when I stepped on the gas, the car was not moving, only the engine revved up. I hope people read this and never buy this crap. I am Korean-American and I will NEVER buy Korean crap again. Thank you.

A regret customer
By dolphin39 on 09/25/11 19:48 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am blaiming myself for buying a Hyundai vechnicle. Needless to say the bad transmission and poor mileage that a lot of customers having on this forum, my less than one year old 2010 Sante Fe refuse to start one night, and put me into a cold night waiting for more than 2 hours to have their 24 hr road side assitance to tow my car to a nearest dealship. On the way, the tow truck guy of CAA telling me that he had been faced the same problem lately and feel sorry for me to have a Hynduai with such a nonreliable quality and poor service. So my advice for everyone who intend to buy a Hyundai vechnicle: Look somewhere else and stay away of it!

Traded my 2010 Sante Fe - defective transmission
By khh8 on 07/25/11 12:13 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am so sorry to say, I no longer could live w/ the transmission issues w/ my 2010 sante fe & got rid of it. My initial problems within two months of purchasing: bucking everytime I turned on the car & slamming/thumping into 2nd & 3rd gear w/ slow acceleration and also experienced a hesitation of shifting between 2nd & 3rd. Been to the dealership numerous times & they reset my transmission once. They were able to fix the bucking when the car is turned on. Then took it back for the original problems resurfaced within a few hundred miles. Then they "couldn't duplicate" the issues & told me 'till they can there is nothing for them to do - as if I am making all this up. BUYERS BEWARE!

A really nice vehicle
By jamaicajoe on 06/30/11 19:49 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Had this vehicle for a year now, and I really like it. Mileage could be a little better, and one annoyance is that it does not have an outside-temperature gauge. Very nice ride, particularly on the highway, lots of usable interior room, and it handles well. Brake feel is a little soft. Did have a problem with the splines on the intermediate shaft to the transmission shearing at 20,000 km, but was fixed under warranty. Our dealer treated us well, and we have since leased a 2011 Elantra from them.

Its a keeper!
By josh33172 on 05/25/11 12:29 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

So far I am very satisfied with my Santa Fe. It has been very smooth, quiet and efficient (as long as I am not mashing on the gas) and my current peak was 27.2mph. I average about 23 combined which is what I expected and is decent for AWD, the heat in S. Florida, and traffic. The ride height and visability are very helpful for observing the road. The turning radius is excellent! The AWD system really helps when its wet. I have no experience in the snow currently living in Miami, Fl, but bought this with the intentions of moving to D.C.

Defective transmissions and poor ride
By dbqfan on 05/18/11 15:00 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had the transmission replaced twice in my 2010 Santa Fe. The new transmission has the same problems and Hyundai will not fix it. They have to "replicate" the problem which is there way of not fixing it. I have never had a car with this many problems in 50 years of buying cars. The dealer is just as bad as Hyundai. The vehicle has many squeaks and rattles which shows poor build quality. The GPS unit is useless in cold weather as you can not see the screen. This is the last non American car I will buy. Poor quality as the floor carpet is just cardboard covered with a poor quality fuzzy material.

Transmission Failure
By gotshafted on 04/22/11 14:26 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

2010 gls with 34954 miles transmission went out with a bang 600 miles from home and now waiting for a replacement. Hyundai expexts me to drive 1200 miles to pick up the car when ready... UNREASONABLE !!!!! Buyers BEWARE.

Nice car, terrible mileage
By susanjb1 on 02/07/11 13:48 PM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I got this car in March 2010. It is extremely comfortable and has great standard features like heated leather seats. Looks like a much more expensive car on the inside. I have had several minor mechanical problems that needed fixing, which is annoying but not fatal. The worst thing about the car is the terrible mileage it gets. It says 20/28 - I have never even come close to 28 on the highway even with total highway driving and driving conservatively. The best you can hope for is about 18/21 and that's driving conservatively. How they got the EPA rating they have on this car is a mystery.

Too good to be true?
By geni1 on 01/28/11 13:47 PM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I'm sad to report that I'm having the same transmission issues that others seem to be having and that is rough shifting (a definite "THUMP" into gear) from 1-2 when the engines cold. Has happened on rare occasions from 2-3 and 3-4. Shifting is fine when car is warm up. Just had transmission "reset" by dealer for 2nd time yesterday, but it thumped softly this morning. Bought the car in May & don't think this started until the weather turned cold at night in the fall.

Great except for the transmission
By 2010_santa_fe on 01/07/11 19:49 PM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our Santa Fe after driving at least 8 competing models and the Santa Fe was way above the compting models. The Santa Fe V6 has plenty of power, decent MPG, rides pretty smoothly, and has lots of extras at a good price. The problem is it's transmission. It started having shifting problems at about 3k miles and we took it in and they reset the tranny. The problem was gone for a while and then gradually returned. We took it back to the dealer and the replaced the tranny at about 7k miles. Now it's been reset again, then reprogrammed and now I'm taking back to the dealer again for the fifth time Jan 10. There are lots of posts about tranny problems on Santa Fe forums now too.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe in VA is:

$109 per month*