1999 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Best Vehicle Ever Owned
By Izzy M. on 08/09/10 18:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I picked my car coming off the car trailer at my dealership and I knew this car was for me. After 247K+ , this car has gotten me everywhere I have asked it to and back. Replacing normal wear & tear parts has kept me happy.

Just ok i guess
By buddman on 07/28/10 19:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

EX is a nice package for an economy car. Manuel transmission has its pluses as well. Decent mileage on flat Louisiana roads is a disappointment (32 mpg). but overall from 66K to 100K one thing after another is breaking. Master cylinder replaced distributor replaced. Timing belt and water pump replaced as recommended so I knew that going into it. Rear passenger door will not open at all, cruse control broken, CD player broken, paint chipping on bumper, steering wheel chipping and uncomfortable, horn pad broken off, muffler falling off. Can't think of anything else but i know i am missing a thing or two.

OK, but not as good as my last Honda
By K.S. on 04/10/10 10:17 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I had a 1991 Accord before this car. To be fair, we have put a lot of city miles on it and it's up to 130k now. But I look to put 200k minimum on a Honda, and I'm not going to get that with this one. The engine is great, but I've had repeated problems with the exhaust system falling out and the brake system breaking all the time, despite excellent maintenance on my behalf and from the car's first owners. I spend about $1500/year fixing this car. Now the transmission is getting ready to die, which I suspect will be a more costly repair than the car is now worth, so I am going to trade it in soon. I would still consider a Honda again, but never again a Honda with automatic transmission.

Great Car!!
By Holajn on 01/23/10 18:45 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in October 2009. At first I had to replace the exhaust system since it was rusting. 375 dollars later it is all better and this car is running great! I am a student and drive less than 30 miles per week, I get such great mileage. For a 1.6 4-cyl the engine is very quick. The V-TEC really helps too. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants outstanding reliability and great gas mileage!

The Gold Standard
By RT on 04/09/09 10:26 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I adore my Civic. The ride is smooth and enjoyable; shifting is a piece of cake (I have a manual); while not powerful, it will give you a kick to pass someone if need be. Not a lot of frills, but utterly reliable. We're at 156k miles, and I imagine my toddler inheriting it when he's driving age! Take care of your Honda--follow maintenance schedule, change the oil, fill it with Chevron, Shell, etc.--you're in for a treat. And did I mention that I consistently get 37-38 mpg in mixed city driving? Incredible. Who needs a Prius?

Awsome Vehicle
By BigNate on 03/22/09 21:52 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased this car, I have owned many, many Hondas/Acuras and they build a very nice car. My new 99 ex sedan has always had its routine services, and always done by certified Honda Techs. and you can tell it. It's ten years old, but looks amazing inside and out. Has a auto trans and shifts smooth, and rides nice. As long as you do the necessary work when it needs to be done, this car, along with all the other Hondas, will last a very, very long time.

Great Buy
By 1st car on 06/07/08 19:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since my senior year in High School. Nine years and one son later I still enjoy my silver civic. Paint is still holding up and still looks beautiful under the the California sun. True it has a bit of sentimental value but it also has monetary value. I've kept up the maintenance with no problems at all; great. The cabin does gets a bit noisy during freeway but not a huge issue. You learn to be frugal as a teenage father and college student; so this purchase made life a bit easier. When you want reliability turn to good ol' Honda.

Money Well Spent
By unkqty on 12/24/07 12:11 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

Second satisfied owner - purchased 4 years ago w/upgraded suspension, stereo, & intake. I really like the car and will drive it until the wheels fall off. Although its first and foremost an economy car, it's a really good one. Gets 25-35mpg on 32mi suburban commute and >36 on long trips (more w/synthetic oil). Although it gasps (35mph) over Colorado's I70 mountain passes, it otherwise offers surprising performance. Requires only routine maintenance, much of which can be performed by owner. Unfortunately, arrogant attitude at several dealerships is that Hondas sell themselves, so they don't have to work as hard or appreciate the customer as much - a real turn-off for me.

Honda Civic will stay with us
By Bob on 11/15/06 20:32 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

We've owned 8 new Honda vehicles over many years. Right now we own a 2002 CRV and our trusty 1999 Civic with 105,000 miles on the odometer. This Civic runs as well now as it day on day of delivery and we are constantly amazed at the high quality of Honda products. Although we really like the new 2007 Civic, we cannot think of one reason to let our 1999 go. We change the oil(s) and do regular maintenance on this Honda as we've done on all of our others which have NEVER failed us.

love my civic
By Tiffany T on 08/22/06 09:06 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

OK.... with over 200,000 miles on my civic, I could not ask for a better car. Never had anything major ever go wrong with it.... and going to keep driving it!