Used 1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

97' Honda Civic
By aeriellele

1997 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car as my first car from a private seller for $1400 with 146K on it only 3 months ago. When I first bought it, it needed a new oil distributor and radiator. I replaced them both thinking I had gotten away with an awesome deal. Then one of my tires went flat, spent a pretty penny on that too. Shortly after, on a long trip to my favorite state park, the transmission gives out in the middle of the road when I was almost at my destination. I had invested too much money on repairing this car for it not to last and I would never buy it used again. For the short while it lasted though, gas mileage was AMAZING.

Favorite Features

Loved the great gas mileage, and it handled pretty well. I could whip around in this car and stop on a dime easily.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a better interior and transmission.

Does not live up to its name
By slowcar

1997 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I purchased this Honda to replace my Turbo Eclipse because i needed a daily driver car for my commute to Nashville. Car has been riddled with problems. 139k transmission went out, spark plugs were seized in head. Now my electrical system is malfunctioning. The headlights Dim i am throwing codes for oxygen sensor, speed sensor, and ELD. cannot figure out what is wrong with it. I will never buy a Honda again, i must have been one of the few that purchased a true lemon. i have had the car for 6 months drove it 6000 miles and have had to invest 3500 on top of the 3000 cost. Horrible design why did i get such a lemon?

Favorite Features

gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Electrical system needs improvement. Drive train automatic transmission does not have a pan filter it is inside the transmission better reliability.

Love Honda
By syfy

1997 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I think buying a honda you will never go wrong. I bought mine in 1998 and trade it in 2005 just because i wanted something bigger living in the north. I wish I would have kept my civic ex

Favorite Features

I enjoyed everything about this car.This car was fun to drive and great on gas.Over the years I had this car never never had to put more than $150 for repairs. Yes i did get breaks but that normal other than that is was a wonderful car. Great Job Honda

Suggested Improvements

There is nothing i can say for improvements for the car

Great first car!
By KY Civic

1997 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I got this car for my 16th birthday three years ago with 88k miles, and nearly 30k miles later it's still running great. Had to have the axle replaced a while back, for a cost of $800, but that's really been the only problem I've had. Gas mileage is decent, but could be a little better. Acceleration can be a tad sluggish, but overall okay for a 4 cyl. Couldn't have asked for a better first car.

Favorite Features

Sunroof controls to the left of the steering wheel, solid build quality, sporty feel, great sound system quality.

Suggested Improvements

Slow acceleration especially up hills, gas mileage is not exceptional. The gas gauge isn't steady,making it hard to tell exactly how much gas you have.

Amazing Car!!
By DguyGp

1997 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I received this car in early 08' and am extremely happy with it. Have added multiple after market performance parts to it recently. But even before that it ran incredibly for having 133,000+ miles on it. Excellent suspension and reliability! Gas never an issue, but i have dropped it with the addition of vtec motor. Clutch was first thing to go, but not a problem for a car of this age. Super clean and excellent body work. Over all, this was a great choice in car. Easily modified, a car to be proud of!

Favorite Features

Suspension, reliability, gas mileage, horsepower, easily modified, paint and rims.

Suggested Improvements

Still a few things to work on, mostly with the drive train and brakes, they have worn over the years.